Website Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by joecommisso, Sep 5, 2010.

1. joecommisso macrumors newbie

joecommisso

http://www.sparkhop.com

I've been building upon/running this site for about 8 months now. I know some of you might have seen it previously but I've changed it quite a bit since starting off just hoping to get some honest feedback about the way it is now. Thanks!

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Initial impression is that it takes too long to load.

Which in my case, means I move on to another web page rather than waiting.

3. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Too much content on the home page. The load time is ridiculous in a bad way.

4. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

This does take a long time to load and feels a bit crowded between the main content and the right side bar. Could you increase the margins?

I do like that you have a feature where you link current posts to other artists that you may like. I might make those links just text links to the post rather than with a thumbnail. Makes the page feel very busy.

The header text is not very clear that it is also a link. I might consider giving it some affordance to know it is clickable (e.g,. color change, underline, bolder, etc.)

Load times are very very long, even on the latest build of Chrome on a fast connection.

5. 7031 macrumors 6502

It's a pretty nice design, but the javascript popups are annoying and as others have stated, yeah, it definitely takes its time to load.

Other than that, pretty nice but it is too crowded still.

6. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Suggestion install a php accelerator such as memcache, xcache...

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Yo joecommisso, I'm really happy for you, I'll let you finish, but MTV has one of the best web sites of all time. One of the best web sites of all time!

But seriously it takes too long to load... Which I am guessing is due to the "explosion" of content.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Javascript popups make me want to leave a site. Oh and I hate the new trend towards the menu bar at the bottom of sites. I don't care if it's collapsable. It's a pain visually and why should *I* have to collapse it? You need me, I don't need you.