Website Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JackT06, Dec 11, 2010.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hello MacRumors fans:)

I know i posted this a while back (2/3months) but alot has changed since then..
    I think its best i tell you, i have only been doing web design for 2 years or so... I'm 15, and have learnt it all myself! I know HTML, PHP, and abit off CSS, and also Java.

Please could i have some feedback on my site;
    www.hampshiredofeyouthforum.tk

I know it runs slow! This is because its a community based website, and we don't have the funds to buy a proper webhost!

Thanks,
    Jack Tracy

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Your template EarthlingTwo does not seem to match the content of the site. Perhaps try a different template or creating your own design.

Also don't use frames. You said you know a little php, you can use it to include the header(with all the styling and nav) and footer into each page or if your more adventurous create a simple tempting system that loads the content into a layout depending on the page accessed.

3. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

What would you recomend...? I picked the current templete due to the following reasons;
    • the website is for young people
    • the green colour sceheme to go withoutdoors
    do you think i made the wrong decision?

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

The current template looks good if your advertising mowing lawns. If your wanting something for young people then yes your wanting brighter colours and more images than text in general.

To make the design more suitable perhaps take a look at this site http://www.swaledaleoutdoorclub.org.uk/ . Your site can be quite plain looking but emphasise more on your images, you have quite a nice image on your home page that could be made more prominent.

5. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

The current template works fine, it's funky and fresh which would appeal to the audience of your site, it also ties in with the outdoor nature of some elements in the DofE scheme. Going with something like Swaldale Outdoor Club would be a step in the wrong direction in my opinion, instead perhaps look at toning down the outdoors look to pull your site back towards it's purpose.

I agree with Cabbit that you shouldn't use frames, however from the looks of it you are using frames to redirect the .tk domain to your uphero.com domain. I would look at getting a .com/.co.uk so you can ditch the frames entirely.

Only other point I would make is to look at the hosting situation, as the site is really quite slow at the moment (the pains of over-subscribed free services) :(

6. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Thankyouu:D

We should get some funding come through sometime this year, which i shall be begging, for some to go towards our website!(;