Website Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Mitchelino, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I've been working on my website a lot lately, and would appreciate if anyone could check it out and perhaps provide me with feedback. I'd like to know the strong and weak points of my website: http://mitchellcarrington.com/

Note that the website is made with RapidWeaver and no code is written by me (the most HTML I know is making headings and links in text).

Some things I am unsure of:
    • The colour of links in the text. I use a purple, but I think it may be hard to see. Does anyone have suggestions of a better colour for it? It used to be the yellow/green like the text headings, but it was hard to tell the difference between the two.
    • I feel the home page may not be very attractive. Any suggestions on making a good home page?

Things I plan to do:
    • Make the default font bigger. It's too small, isn't it?
    • Make a footer (perhaps just on the home page) with links to social network pages and links to buy the music.

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Some thoughts,

• I think i would go for the green over the purple for your links.
    • You have your font size adjustors in a odd place, i prefer them on the top right where there normally found. Though kudos for having them at all.
    • Add a link of some sort that skips the navigation with a access key of N so i don't have to listen to your navigation over and over again.
    • I did not miss the footer.
    • UL is not longer needed if your using the nav tag. Use a full stop and perhaps a mention of what the access key is in the title. <a href="something" title="." accesskey="s">Somthing</a>
    • The website optimised for links look tacky
    • second thought on the footer, really need it as your terms, contact and privacy are all over the place.
    • If the album covers are important on the side why not make them bigger or even the focus of the page, while making your header smaller.
    • The initial font size does not feel too small, mainly because you have given it a good amount of space.
    • You have 2 contact links, 1 is redundant consider if it is important it can go to the main nav else it can go to the footer.

3. Mitchelino thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your feedback!

I'll look into adding the font adjusters in a more convenient place. I agree that they are in an odd spot.

Not sure I understand what you mean by this.

I agree that the "optimized for" image is tacky, so I'll remove it next time I update it. I'll also move the terms links to the footer when I make it.

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Basically assuming your main content is in <section id="main"> or <div id="main"> or whatever you have called your content area have a link before everything else as so:

Code:
    <a class="skip" href="#main" accesskey="n">Skip navigation</a>

You can hide it with css or style it as you please as long as you don't use display:none; Then what happens is a user with a text reader can come along and skip all the navigation of your page by using a simple keyboard command.

You can give a access key to each of your important links as well to further improve accessibility.