Website Critique...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by d.watson08, Dec 25, 2008.

1. d.watson08 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for some feedback on the new website I have made for my band...

The Ally Jowett Band

I'm more of a 'learn and do what's needed' rather than a professional so go easy on me ;)
    Any help/thoughts/advice at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Daz

2. adom macrumors 6502

Hey I dig it, looks crisp and clear.

One thing that did catch my eye is that the text "The Ally Jowett Band" title, which overlays the header image of your band members (I presume?), doesnt span the whole width of the line which comes directly underneath it...where as the sentence under it "Rest of the day Available Soon" does.

Seems odd, and out of place in my view.

Apart from that, looks fine to me!

Happy Holidays btw! :D

3. d.watson08 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi adom,
    Looking again I completely agree on the writing over the picture... it's small things like that you miss so thanks for the reply.

Merry Christmas (a day late) and happy new year to you also.
    Daz

4. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

looks great, but i'd remove the menu title. people will know what it is

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey d.watson :)

i hope im not too critial!!! sorry if i am.

1. i find there is too much whitespace, whitespace will bore the reader and make it much much harder to read the writing, id also recommend giving the side menu bar a light background colour or something, or make the grey lines much darker/wider.

2. the font is very hard to read, its too small and not destinct enough from the background. im only on a 19" monitor, imagine what people with a 30" monitor running at 1920x1080 would be seeing!!!! (not much i imagine)

3. there is too much scrolling!!! you need to find the balance between informing people and overloading them, i read the first few lines then scrolled through the rest in 2 seconds, please keep only important things on it.

4. you needn't repeat the menu bar both up the top and on the left, i got confused by it! (stupid blonde haha).

thats about it for now.. :)

P.S. omg i love your music!!!! its so relaxing!!! do you play in the band? what instrument? it sounds awsome, so chillaxing!

6. adom macrumors 6502

No problem! I'm glad you agree, and your right it 's the small things that you sometimes miss and need another eye on.

BTW just checked out your music, very nice. Album out soon? Local band I see too, I'm only 60miles east of Leeds towards Hull!

Best of luck!

7. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

I thought it looked really professional.

Does it use Wordpress?

8. d.watson08 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replies...

hey,
    Thanks for all your comments and help! It's much appreciated.

I am in the band, I'm the keys player. The little chubby thing in all the photos:D

to adom:
    We are trying to release our album very soon but there are so many things you don't think of e.g. barcodes and royalties etc... hopefully mid/late january :)

to DipDog3:
    I only use JEdit to do the scripting, and worked the rest out from tutorials etc. Cyberduck is my ftp program, which I like quite a lot.

to DoFoT9:
    As for over filling content, it was a new site and needed 'padding' so it didn't look bare. I know thats a bad thing to do, but we had little visitors. Now that we have more material regularly the rubbish waffle will be left out! I'm glad you like our music too!

I haven't had much chance to get on different screens yet so thanks for your comments on font and size. I'll look in to it asap.

to tominated:
    Ye I kinda agree, but I was unsure what to do. I wanted the 'groups' to be separate to stand out a bit more but as you say the titles are a bit obvious?? We want the site to focus on our groups and blog to help create a community around the band.

Daz

9. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Your site looks nice and clean. I'm not sure what to say about it because it's not a typical "band looking" page. Maybe the site is supposed to reflect your music in some fashion. Maybe you could let us know.

For a music page I would consider something a little more flowing and rhythmic over the rigid, organized, sterile look. This is not meant to be as harsh s it might come across, just something to consider.

cheers.

10. d.watson08 thread starter macrumors newbie

to mcavjame:
    We tried a flash site and also another layout that was more relaxed, but the feedback was that people couldn't find their way around the site. That has led us onto this design that is more structured. It's hard to find a balance but I'll keep trying.

I've made the changes to the menu titles and also the header. Loosing the menu titles leaves some space for something else, maybe a 'next gig' quick reference?? Thanks for the help again!!