Website Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ChaosAngel, Aug 31, 2009.

1. ChaosAngel macrumors member

Hi all,

I have been running my personal "Tech" website now for about six months and thought it was time to get some feedback.

www.lifeintech.co.uk

I started the site to log information that interested me and to keep a journal of work I had complete (to remind me how to do it again in the future). However over time I have built a small user base which has turned the site into more of a hobby.

Any feedback regarding the site design, content or any other areas of improvement would be gratefully appreciated. My aim was to keep the site simple (therefore low maintenance), however I do have experience with web design, specifically PHP and some JavaScript.

Let me know.

Cheers,

Matt. :apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

2 small validation errors you could fix, but otherwise it looks good if not "standard."

3. Lucas111 macrumors newbie

Well after surfing your website for a few mins, I've come across mostly positive stuff.

I like that fact that you link to your sources or what your talking about within the article, some blogs don't. It saves the viewer time google'ing.
    I like the image viewer, I cant recall the name at the moment, but its one of my favorites. But it did confuse me for a second, once I click on a an image from this page the background faded completely out, maybe if you made it even just 90% opacity, so you can see the page it would be better in my opinion.

Also I'm a bit unsure if you wrote the description of some of the new features in Snow Leopard, or if your took that from another website. Just the way it is worded makes be think, its from one of Apples pages, but there is no source of quote listed.

And one last thing, but this is just my opinion and being picky because I'm a designer, but the logotype you've used for for your name, is just a little to condensed. Its having trouble breathing. Also the gaps between the 'i' and the 'n' as well as the gap between the 'c' and the 'h' stand out because there are no other gaps in the logotype.

I mean all that as constructive criticism, all the best with running the website in the future. You've gained a bookmark from me!

4. ChaosAngel thread starter macrumors member

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree the site is a bit "standard". Unfortunately art and design is defiantly not one of my strengths. I experimented when launching the site with some more extravagant designs, however always found that they were to busy for my liking or had to many issues with compatibility across browsers. I am however putting some thought into what flashes of design could be added to give the site a a more custom/unique feel. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regarding the logo, I actually agree with you. I originally put it together as a placeholder while I designed the rest of the site, but then ended up growing accustom to it. I will defiantly look into tweaking it a bit.

Finally all the words should be my own, unless otherwise quoted or referenced. I agree it is very frustrating and disappointing when other web sites re-use peoples work without appropriate credit. (I hope I have not done that anywhere). The Snow Leopard features were put together over time, dating back to the early builds, I wrote the information based on data/material shown at specific Apple key notes etc. It was however an oversight not to point the reader back to Apple, this has now been rectified.

Thanks again, all feedback is welcome and I hope to put it to good use. :D