Website Design Feedback...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JackT06, Apr 16, 2011.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hi Guys,

Please can i have some feedback on how to improve my new website i'm putting together.....

I think i need some kind of background image/color...? But i don't know what to put it as...

Attached Files:

2. boohoowoofoo macrumors newbie

Hey!

Couple of things:

The red gradient does no favor to the overall look of your site. It just does not feel like it fits in well since you have solid colors everywhere else. I would do away with the gradient on the top and also work on the sizing of the header vs the part that says scouts be prepared. It would fit better if they are similar sizes and makes better use of the white space you have there.

Second thing, the about us and latest news do not match up perfectly on the top. You could have a margin or padding on the top of your div tag, just check the CSS. If you did this in photoshop just bring a line down from the ruler and make sure they line up nicely.

Third, I like your green and purple and darker purple color scheme. Its simple for now, but I would like to see you build up on that a bit. I just feel like the header needs something to tie the site together, but I feel a disconnect when I look at the header and then scroll down to the rest of your page.

Lastly you can do html mailto:youremail@mailaddress.com in the HTML to make sure your e-mail address can be clicked on.

Other than that I think you have a great solid start I can't wait till you build up on it and improve! I am positive you will :)

3. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hey,

How do you think i could build up the colors?

The trouble is i'm more of a developer than a designer, so although i can do it, i don't know what looks good/bad.

Here is an update with the changes...

Attached Files:

4. boohoowoofoo macrumors newbie

To be honest it is kind of hard to say because the content on this part of your site is pretty much all text based. It is hard to make text look exciting on a website unless you are doing some crazy css based touches.

For the purpose of this page I think you should make it as easy as possible to read and understand. Other things i would do:

- Remove the dark purple background treatment in the About Us header. I think repeating the same element in the header, the sub headers, and the recent news section is kind of overkill

- the recent news tab still does not line up with the about us. Maybe if you remove the dark purple background it wont be as noticeable? If you can fix it though it would be nicer.

- the font you are using for the page title does not make it any more exciting, I think perhaps you want to use a clean bold font like helvetica.

- Lastly, because this part of the page is simple in itself, it cant be very exciting. Instead of a white background try a light grey, or off white. I think it will compliment the colors a bit more.

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

My initial thoughts:

What does your Home page look like? This seems to be the design for an interior page, which, while boring and text heavy, can be fine if you add one strong graphical element. Trying putting an image in the header (instead of the line of text) which can be repeated on every page.

Also try creating a graphic/image-heavy home page that has image links to the key interior pages (in addition to the main navigation). If that front page is bold and interesting, in addition ot having some quality info, having a lot of explanatory (as long as it's relevant) text on the interior pages isn't as big a deal.

Also...it should be "lives" not "life's" ( said the Grammar Nazi)

6. celticpride678

Honestly, I think that the best thing to do is add some type of background. Whether it be on the header and main content area, and whether it be a color or gradient.

It would make the text pop and the site more attractive.

7. designguy79 macrumors 6502

I respectfully disagree about having to adding "CSS touches" to make text look good. A good design is much more than effects and graphics; its about presenting the information in an orderly way and making sure the important message is made.

Here are some examples of nicely designed web sites that are "text heavy"

http://bobulate.com

http://things.be

http://52weeksofux.com (great ready, too!)

Some keys to a great "minimalistic" site are:

* Great typography
    * Grids!
    * Smart use of color
    * Generous use of white-space
    * Knowing why white-space is good :)

HTH,

~ Jeremy

8. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Thanks for the responses guys.

I shall work on it tommorrow, and then post an updated version.

This is the only page i have worked on really. I will start my home page tommorow. I was just puting together the default layout of things.

9. boohoowoofoo macrumors newbie

Good point.

When I said CSS I meant to say using CSS to stylize the text and use fontface or googlewebfonts or whatnot. Guess I should have been more clear.

Also thanks for the links! I love seeing great layout/typography

10. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I would check out Smashing for ideas, I think I know where you're going with regards to direction, a simple typographic style though I think you might be better basing in upon a Wordpress theme.

From what I can see it doesn't seems to "click" to a grid, the logo seems to be isolated within the layout, there isn't enough padding while the typography doesn't seem to shine through strong enough.

Smashing 100 Best Wordpress Themes
    Grid-Based
    Grid Based Design

11. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

New Design..

Hello,

I started over again as it was obvious that my original wasn't going the best it could....

How do you guys feel about this one...?

Attached Files: