Website Design made on iWeb - Please Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jarruemota, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jarruemota macrumors member

Hey guys :) I've been working on a website design for a couple of days and I would like to know how much better does it look from the older one. I just started playing around with iWeb and made this for fun, but now I like how it has come out. I know I'm still missing some things to correct but overall I want to know what you guys think about it. Now is that I'm starting to learn a little more about HTML and this is why I used iWeb since I find it easy and cool to use. The text in the website is in spanish and it is not my website. However, I just want to know what do you guys think about the design. Btw: I'm just a high school student, not a designer or anything like that. I just do it for fun! :)

Here are the different website designs (the old was made by a real designer and the new was the one I made):

OLD AND ACTUAL: http://www.strategysolutionsla.com/index.htm

NEW:http://herederos2009.esmartweb.com/dkgahdgiusgf/Strategy_Solutions_Latin_America.html

2. graphicsward macrumors member

graphicsward

much better

Your new design is 36 times better than the last one, much more focused, better compression (few artifacts), and easier navigation.

As far as design it's not bad, still have different elements that compete for attention, lots of different logos/icons on white. i would keep the home page design similar to the rest of the pages, looks off balanced with the content not in line with the menu bar.

nice job

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

It's a big improvement. Still, it looks kind of crowded (the huge social media icons, for example) and you could work on aligning things a bit better (I'm talking about the left/right edge of the header, body and footer).

5. RKmd macrumors newbie

RKmd

Great improvement!! I agree with the comments above. The site does look much more professional and elegant, but it could use a little work in spacing the elements apart.

6. jarruemota thread starter macrumors member

Heey, thank you for the advices!! I also wanted to know how good was it because I am planning on showing the new design to my father (since it is his company) but I am afraid he will tell me it isn't good enough! :( Anyways thank you!! I will take your advices into consideration and post the site once again when I fix it a little! :D Have a great weekend!

7. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I love the latest design. I'm not a web designer, but I think it is excellent. A good improvement from your previous design, and 1 million times better than the current design.

8. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Not a fan of those redundant links at the bottom, gets confusing. Try drop down menus. And the blocks are HUGE and awkward.

9. jarruemota thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot macbookairman! :D

Thank you for the advice spillproof! :) I also think the blocks look somewhat awkward and I'll change them! Btw: I know it would be better and easier to navigate if the website had drop-down menus but, I don't know how to put drop-down menus in iWeb :confused:. Let me know if you know how to add them in iWeb! Thanks a lot!

10. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

11. Arganos0 macrumors member

Latest design looks really nice. If I were you I'd spend some time in learning html/css a bit more in depth and actually re-make the current site you have in a way that it's coded better. Eventually iWeb makes things more difficult than they have to be. It's very nice, but iWeb doesn't optimize stuff really well, resulting in the fact that stuff is loaded unnecessarily often.

12. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Looks far more professional, while the navigation is far more focused. I like it, you've really improved on the old concept.

The only thing I would implement on the home page is for call to action ads designed to move traffic around the site, also I would try and do it in Wordpress IMO iWeb is just not a good tool for professional web sites.