Website Design Not Iweb

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JackT06, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Does anyone know how to make a website but without using iWeb the reason why i say this is that i am using it atm and i really dont like using it.

So does anyone know of any free software to download onto my Mac to make a website??

Another way i was thinking of doing it was hand coding it all. But i have a feeling that is very hard, Am i correct?

Many Thanks
    Jack :D

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Any text editor can make a web site. You just have to know HTML. It's not that hard, but will take practice and time. Check the stickies for links to tutorials to get you started.

3. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well... no. If you know HTML, you've done nothing, except if you get complicated and use tables, and many many things. You've got to also learn CSS and how to combine them. And if you want some iWeb-like web sites (which do look AWESOME), you've got to be above average in an editor like Photoshop. Not to mention JavaScript & all if you want kull effects :)

@JackT06 you might want to have a look over RealMacSoftware's Rapidweaver, but it's not free. In fact, I don't know any free (high-quality) WYSIWYG editors.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Everyone has to start somewhere. Obviously the OP is at the very beginning so I pointed them to the beginning.

5. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

I have started to make my website using HTML, i understand what you mean now when you said once you have started it, its easy. At the moment i seem to be doing fine the only trouble im having is trying to Link my pages to each other and add pictures :D

6. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    If you're learning from W3Schools, you're on the right track, and the linking and images lessons should come right away. I'd also recommend the Head First series from O'Reilly.

7. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

It is tricky.

I'm in exact same position as yourself but with Dreamweaver. Was planning to just draw everything on the page and let Dreamweaver do the coding. However Dreamweaver uses old methods by 'tables' and will be obsolete in a few years and useless on search engines.
    Personally I find it pretty tricky :eek:. At first it's hell but slowly slowly start to get certain bits. You need LOTS of time to teach yourself.
    It all depends on how much time you have, I would say go for it if you've lots of spare time as it's so interesting. It's so interesting but; I've spent soooo much time trying to learn and she's getting the hump so I need to cool it down big time :(.
    www.W3schools.com is great, i printed everything out and highlighted relevant points. However I find they don't go into proper detail and some of the examples of 'hand coding' could be done by showing exact code as opposed to a few relevant lines. Especially in the CSS department. A book has just arrived today on CSS I ordered "Beginning CSS web Development from Novice to Professional" by 'Simon Collison' I would strongly recommend just by flicking a few pages this morning.
    Let us know how you get on.:)

8. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Well due to at the moment it being my summer holidays i have got another 4 weeks or so free. Thanks for the advice, Where did you order your book from may i ask?

Ta :apple:

9. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Go for it!

Ah 4 weeks free, go for it my friend. You'll be learning something new and a possible career change.
    I ordered it from www.amazon.com. Goes into much further detail about css, it's a massive subject.
    I need to learn ajax/ java script next I think which to be honest I think will take ages and I don't have the time :eek:. But hopefully I will.

10. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Rapidweaver + Espresso works for me.

But if you're new to HTML I would suggest learning it, the previous post have linked some very good resources IMHO.