Website Development - Rates - Advice

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by VanMac, Jul 20, 2009.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hey All.

What are current rates out there for doing website development.
    ie:
    - Initial Site Setup
    - 5 page static HTML
    - additional pages
    - Hosting
    - Domain Name Registration
    - etc.

Thanks for any input.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Depends on the experience of the designer/developer. It's a really big range. What's your experience and skill set?

3. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

This request is not necessarily tied to me, or my skill set.

Just looking into what going rates are for basic static type sites.

Here is an example:
    http://www.zoinksgraphics.com/rates.php

Are these rates shown a fairly good indication?

4. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

depends on your skill, and really how fast you can work. you could charge £199 for starting inclusive of everything and just rip people of on hosting.

domain name registration well i personally only charge about 10 minutes worth of work for the domain name plus the cost of the domain name it self since i dont think its write to charge stupid amounts for domain names. but that is of course, up to you

you could also charge £25 per extra page, for example. as the only thing you need to do is just add a few more links to what i can only guess is a template you have designed yourself so it does not really take any effort to create

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Companies like that already have pre-built sites and generally just do a small amount of customization then charge more than the effort they put into it. They likely do all the work in a single day, but charge it out as though it took them a month. There's definitely better deals out there.

Your question is still too broad. Whether your looking at how much you should charge for services, or how much you should pay to receive service, it depends on the needs of the customer and the capabilities of the developers. I see people offer entire sites for less than $100 and also for $10,000+. There's simply too many factors to answer this succinctly.

6. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

A GREAT design will cost you 1,0000-10,000 ... The prices you linked, are definitely budget prices....which there is a market for.

Are you trying to provide that service, or are you looking for a service?

BTW, the site you linked is horribly tacky design. If their main business focus is web design, i'd stay away, far away.

7. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Budget Sites.

There's two guys at work with their own companies, both recently had their websites done. One paid £300, the other £3,000. I cannot tell the difference! Unfortunately I would like to say that the £3,000 one was far superior and looks more professional. But if anything I think I prefer the £300 one.

I am currently trying to learn how to do my own coding and design my own. And possibly trying to branch into a new career. At £300 for a decent site I'm not sure if it's worth it :(.

8. memco macrumors 6502

A list apart has a very nice breakdown of current demographics for web work. They show range of pay, gender, locations, benefits, etc. It won't give you an exact answer, but it should give you a much better perspective on what the normative range for pay scale is.

9. offshoredevelop macrumors newbie

Website Design and Development Cost

I agree with £300 but this rate you can say for static with 4-5 pages and when site need with dynamic at that moment you need to calculate total hours required to complete jon and based on that only you can give correct rates

Thanks
    Mayur Shah