Website editor

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by twisted-pixel, Apr 25, 2011.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Ok, so it isn't really possible to build a complete website from scratch but I do want something that would allow me to make small changes. Basically I'm looking for something that will let me FTP to my site, download a page, edit it and then upload the changed page.

Is there anything out there that people can recommend?

Thanks

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. gks macrumors 6502

You need to provide a lot more detail than what you're currently providing. Are you using blogging software? Is this at a conventional web host or something like Blogger?

For example, if you're using Wordpress, you can't just do what you want. Templates are used to generate the site on the fly each time it's loaded. You'd have to edit the templates, which aren't actually what you see on the page when you load it. It could be a combination of 4 templates that generate one page that you see.

If it's flat HTML then yes, there are tools out there that can help you. But you need to give up some details so we can even tell you if it's possible.

4. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Apologies, the site is my own and is written in ASP. so no blogging etc, essentially something that will allow me to edit HTML page but with the ability to FTP download and reupload

5. gks macrumors 6502

If it's written in ASP then that means it's dynamic. Not going to be a whole lot you can do without using visual studio or something like frontpage.

I don't know of any WYSIWYG editors for the Mac that are familiar with ASP syntax.

6. wpotere Guest

As posted above, ASP (Active Server Pages) is a dynamic content system written by Microsoft. Visual Studio is the way to edit those pages. That being said, there may be some HTML that you can manipulate in the files but it will be very little. You best bet is to dual boot your Mac with bootcamp and use Windows and VisualStudio.

7. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Ok. Apolgies again but I guess I didn't make myself clear. Yes the pages are written in ASP, I wrote them myself but like any other web page it's still just text at the end of the day. Unlike HTML you can't just view the page source and edit it though since the HTML you are seeing could just be something that is rendered by the server. What I'm after is something that can FTP to my site, download a file and then edit it using a text editor before reuploading

8. wpotere Guest

Your Mac can do that with anything special. You can use Cyberduck as an FTP client...

http://cyberduck.ch/

For a decent WYSIWYG editor, I like Coda. I'm not sure if it will give you ASP (I assume classic) info, but it will at least help with the HTML.

9. gks macrumors 6502

Still nothing I'm aware of that can do that on the iPhone...