Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Hello, I have a project for college where I have to choose a product and design a website for it along with advertising material (video based and paper based). I decided to choose Pirates of the Caribbean. I would appreciate it if you could give me some feedback on my work.

The URL is http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.tearne/website/Untitled-1.html

Also feedback on my trailer would also be appreciated. (Click Trailers > Dead Mans Chest)

MiniMan.

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
UK
Looks nice, Navigation is pretty simple text could be a tad bigger.

1 thing i didnt really like was when you click on a page the whole scroll area bit goes white then loads the page this white bit if can be eddited would be alot better beacase white on that darksih Bg stands out quite alot

Hope this helps.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California

1 thing i didnt really like was when you click on a page the whole scroll area bit goes white then loads the page this white bit if can be eddited would be alot better beacase white on that darksih Bg stands out quite alot

Hope this helps.

Looks good, little slow on the load though.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments, however I am slightly confused as to what you mean. Do you mean the box where all the content goes?

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Looks good, little slow on the load though.

Thanks, I guess that could be a combination of my personal webspace being slow and me not having compressed the images enough for the web. Ill take that into account for when I reupload the site.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Yer were the contents itself goes, When you click a page that whole area goes white for a bout a secound!

Ah yes I get you now, must be an issue with my iframe. Didnt really see it as much of a problem but it must be since you have pointed it out. Thanks for letting me know, this sort of feedback really helps me iron out several bugs.

MiniMan.

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
UK
Ah yes I get you now, must be an issue with my iframe. Didnt really see it as much of a problem but it must be since you have pointed it out. Thanks for letting me know, this sort of feedback really helps me iron out several bugs.

Glad i helped if there are any other issues you think could be a problem just tell me/us and we can check for you! :)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
The website design is really nice, however the trailer, to me, drags and is uninformative, just giving lots of action clips from around the same bit of the film.

You could try shortening it to about half of what it is now, and having a wider variety of clips. Also, the bit where Davy Jones shouts 'damn you jack sparrow'; take it out. It doesn't fit to be honest.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Since the point of the trailer is to make people see the movie, I don't get why you extended the opening studio slugs to take up more time...it really slows the pacing. For an action movie trailer, you want to move from setup to quicker and quicker cuts...the intertitles explaining the plot should be dealt with in the audio instead...if the audience has to read, you've stopped the action because there is none in those static frames. Since it has comedy elements too, you have to work some of that in as well. I'd suggest heading to the quicktime trailers site and watching as many trailers as you can to get a feel for the medium...of the ones I've watched, I think the Grindhouse, Letters from Iwo Jima and Zodiac trailers do the best job of selling their product and they all use different methods to do so. Good luck.

iSaint

macrumors 603
It looks really cool.

At the top, Davy Jones 'beard' flows over onto the menu. But it's the only character that does. College professors are bound to notice such things. What do you think?

I also thought the default page could be more interesting than the news bite.

As far as content, it's a great site. And the look is good, too.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
It looks really cool.

At the top, Davy Jones 'beard' flows over onto the menu. But it's the only character that does. College professors are bound to notice such things. What do you think?

I also thought the default page could be more interesting than the news bite.

As far as content, it's a great site. And the look is good, too.

thanks for the comments. Davy Jones tenticles overflowing onto the menu was an intentional design choice and I thought it worked well, gave the website some sort of depth I thought rather than being totaly 'flat'. What do others think of this situation? Should i remove the overflowing tenticles or do you think it works?

As far as the default page, do you have any suggestions as to how I could improve it?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Since it's just a college project, I'd lose the "Copyright Graham Tearne 2007" notice, since most of the content is not owned by you anyways.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
it might be nice to put roll overs on the buttons (link images)

I could not possibly agree more. Some visual feedback when mousing over navigation links is a MUST.

...and not that anyone wants me to run around evangelizing or anything, but I couldn't help but notice the layout is a table-based layout. Please don't do that ;)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I could not possibly agree more. Some visual feedback when mousing over navigation links is a MUST.

...and not that anyone wants me to run around evangelizing or anything, but I couldn't help but notice the layout is a table-based layout. Please don't do that ;)

Tables? Oh dear. Div boxes if you please! They're the way forward :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.