Website feedback

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Zanthus, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Zanthus macrumors member

Hi guys,

Just wondered if I could get some feedback and constructive opinions on this website I made for a friend

www.greentreeyoga.co.uk

Cheers

Craig

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm no expert, just a web user... but I liked it
    Seemed to be clean, simple and straightforward... uncluttered

I like the design

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Two comments; First, ditch the frame. It's irritating and search engines don't like them. Second; perhaps use either a custom font via CSS or change it to something standard, but that fits in with the design a bit more. Aside from that, it's a nice, clean, simple design. :)

4. Zanthus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments yeah will look into fonts

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    My only though is it would be a nice if it were a tad bit wider. This is what it looks like on my iPad.

[​IMG]

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Craig ... it looks great and is well suited for it's purpose.

I do not agree with some of the comments, such as ditch the frame, or change the fonts.

the one thing I did notice is ... read through it a few times. With just a quick glance through ... I did notice Sharons should be Sharon's

Again ... looks great and I am sure Sharon will agree ... well suited for her business.

Nice Job

7. Zanthus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks ! will change the typo's, as with width will look at making it wider.

8. wpotere Guest

Ditch frames for sure... Nice clean layout though, I like it.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I just noticed that the navigation links at the top are not centered properly, or they should just be spaced out more.

Also on the main page, the width of the text box is too narrow, and the margins are unequal. :)

10. ZaSheR macrumors newbie

ZaSheR

Clean and simple, I am not a fan of the font though...I always been a fan of Calibri myself

11. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Agree with all the above, re. font and frames. Otherwise it looks lovely.

One more small thing, the H on the home button changes from upper to lower case depending on which link is clicked. None of the other menu items do this so I'm guessing it's not a style choice.

12. designguy79 macrumors 6502

What reason do you see to keep the frame?

Also, to clarify, Ryan is referring to the HTML "frame" tag that actually loading the web site up from a different web location and not the layout or graphical elements of the site. Using frames can cause problems for SEO, and it also causes your visitors to only be able to bookmark the home page.

For more info on frames, see this useful article: http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/seo-blog/website-frames/

HTH,

Jeremy

13. manueld macrumors 6502

From a consistency stand point, I'd move the yoga classes copy to the right since all the other pages have the main content on that side. Additionally the vertical scrollbar for this page is displayed on my browser for no apparent reason which shifts the layout a bit.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

It is a Yoga website ... basically an informative site to describe hours and services. The contact form seems fine for appointments.

IMO, ... it serves the purpose well ... relaxing Yoga. ... I like it :cool:

15. Zanthus thread starter macrumors member

The only reason I'm using a frame is that the website is hosted where I have my own website and I stupidly brought the domain name from somewhere else and didn't realise you couldn't transfer them for 90 days. It uses a frame so the website looks as though is is greentree.co.uk when actually its nots. THe only problem I'm having now is getting google to recognise it any ideas ?

Craig

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Have you added Google's webmaster code into the code? and then submit it to Google?

17. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

You don't need to transfer a domain name to your web host, just point it to your host's nameservers.

18. Zanthus thread starter macrumors member

But then dosn't that mean that instead of greentree.co.uk the website will show up in the browser as zanthus.co.uk/Greentree which I didn't want. They said if I transferred the domain over I could have it as a add on site to my hosting and it would act as its own individual site.

Craig

19. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

You should just need to change the nameservers on greentreeyoga.co.uk to justhost's and use the addon domain function in cPanel to point it to that subdirectory.

20. Zanthus thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks for this, I don't quite get how or what namerservers do was looking into this the other day i'm with justhost does my hosting and i brought the domain with another company and have the option to change the name servers but then what do I do after this thanks for any help

Craig