Website Feedback

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iNash, Feb 3, 2009.

1. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Evening all (or morning maybe)

I have (very quickly) just put together a website and you guessed it, using iWeb...

After reading the "Compeition for the most non iWeb looking website" I thought I'd post my creation on here and be at your mercy... ;)

I have played around with websites for some time now but it really has just been playing, I put this together for a friend: http://www.dizzyheightsdevelopment.com

And will admit it does look pretty iWebby :rolleyes:

So here goes: http://web.me.com/tom.nash/iNash

Let me know what you think Good or Bad (Or Motivational/Developmental as the L&D professionals say) :D

Cheers

2. jonjamesm macrumors regular

jonjamesm

i like your method of picture viewing, howdya do that in iweb? is that a feature in 09?

Site does the job though, no?

3. iNash thread starter macrumors 6502

iNash

Thanks mate

Yeah 09 has a really cool Widget feature that lets you put some really cool things into your website, adding a MobileMe gallery is what I have done with the pics, you can also add things like the countdown/google maps and youtube really quickly as well.

Hopefully does the job, have to wait and see - thank you!

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The site loaded painfully slow, especially the pics page. We're talking 30+ seconds. Others pages like the home page was 10+ seconds. Not many people will be willing to put up with that.

5. iNash thread starter macrumors 6502

iNash

That's good feedback, thanks - I think taking out the music will probably help with that, and it's a bit tacky too.

What internet connection do you have?

Cheers

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I have cable internet so good connection. I never heard any music at the site (apparently I didn't wait long enough before moving to another page). I was able to watch graphics load line by line (some graphics, not the ones with loading graphics). You may want to try reducing the resolution on the images. For images you should generally try to keep them under 150KB a piece (give or take) for larger images. Your header image is almost 190KB and isn't that large. So reducing image resolution is one way to make the file size smaller. There's other techniques as well, that I'm less familiar with, but others here could give guidance on.

7. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

I agree with the earlier post. The site loads painfully slow, I'm on a DSL connection.

To help with that, see if you can make your left menu into text/CSS boxes rather than graphics. There is no need for graphics if the only effect you want are changed colors on the mouse hovering state.