Website Forward By Itself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abastian, Oct 12, 2014.

1. abastian macrumors newbie

Whenever I am in online browsing using a browser such as Safari, Firefox, or Chrome in my Macbook Pro, the website suddenly change by itself to the below link:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/wechat/id414478124

Is this a virus?

How to fix it?

Thank you

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

3. abastian thread starter macrumors newbie

Every website.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Check your Safari preferences and see if that page is set as the default link to open in a new tab or page.

If it isn't that then Reset Safari. (from the Safari menu).

5. abastian thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't work.

It happen not only in Safari but all of my browsers.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I'd suspect you have installed some adware/malware that is doing the redirect. Its not a virus and you likely gave it permission to install (even if inadvertently), so double-check anything you have installed lately, just before it started doing this redirection.

7. Gav Mack, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Seconded. If they open the applications folder in finder, change to details view and sort by date there may be an app causing the redirect that's recently been installed. Check the login items in users and groups for the user account too. Then check the extensions/addons section for all the browsers too as the rogue app on login can add these redirecting extensions into the browsers, but I have yet to see that happen in OSX which is does on windows boxes. It usually just redirects globally..

8. abastian thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I find these adware/malware program in my macbook pro laptop and how to uninstall them?

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Do this /\/\/\

10. SuperCop macrumors newbie

Redirect Issue

Just posting in the event the previously suggest methods do not work. I had this on my machine, but I also noticed that when connected to wifi, occasionally my iPhone would also redirect. On the normal data plan it wouldn't.

The point is, if you by some chance left the default login credentials to your router, the malware (not sure if this is the right term), could have been installed on the router, like it was on mine. Actually, I think it changed some sort of DNS specifically, but the remedy was this:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/66992-the-famous-redirect-virus/

Aka, I just did a hard reset of my router, then changed the login credentials to (192.168.1.1) from the default admin//admin login. I no longer get this issue.

This solution is primarily after you've scanned your machine with multiple tools and no issues came back AND you're seeing this on more than one device.