Website Icon -> Custom Icon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freis968, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

As you can see in this picture, I took the website, BluRay.com in this instance, and put it into my dock.

Is there a way I can customize this icon to match up with the rest of the icons in my dock? Like the iCal icon for instance but with a BluRay image?

Attached Files:

2. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani

Just select the URL shortcut file and press Command + I for file info. Then Copy and Paste the custom icon on the picture of the old icon in the Get Info pane.

3. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

When I select the URL shortcut and press Command + I, it opens up Mail and inserts the website into the body of the email.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hmmm. Ok I think I see your problem. If you originally drug the site directly to the dock, you cannot modify the icon from the dock location.

To change the icon you need to do that before adding it to the dock-- in other words drag it to the desktop or some other location first, then select it and use the command+I (or select it and use "File-->Get Info". Change the icon, close the Get Info window and then drag the modified item to the dock.

One downside to that is that you cannot delete the original after it is dragged to the dock- as now the dock icon is really only an alias to the original item's location, so that is why I said "...drag it to the desktop or some other location..." above. If it is on the desktop when you drag it to the dock, it will need to stay on the desktop. It would be neater to put a "Dock Icons" folder or something on your hard drive and place it there--- then change the icon and drag it to the dock.

Oh yeah, that is real clear.... sorry- it makes sense but is harder to describe than do! ;) The only alternative I see is to stick with the original icon, but what I have tried to describe is not difficult really.

EDIT: OK just to show you it does work, I just made one and randomly stuck it in my dock! :D

Attached Files:

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Or you could always use the .trick to hide the original...

I've always hated Apple's little boingo icons. They tell you nothing at all, and the @ sign makes them look like something to do with email.

"Could have drug"? :D

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Thanks for that BlueRevolution! What a bad time for that to skip my mind! :eek: