website in progress, input please :)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by paolo-, May 2, 2009.

1. paolo- macrumors 6502a

So, I decided I want to start blogging. The blog will be about tech/making/DIY/engineering and hopefully feature lots videos of me. I'm using wordpress. Because of the purpose of the blog, I think it's important for me to make my own theme. On top of that, I never made a website so I think it's important for me to get my hands dirty.

So after following a great tutorial that actually thought me what I was coding, not just copying stuff here's what I came up with. I sadly have to use a screen shot since it's not up on the net yet. It also has a few kinks to be worked out : the permalinks are still stock and the CSS file is quite spaghetti coded, haha.

[​IMG]

(second title is blue because I had my mouse over it, links become blue when the mouse is over them)

I'd appreciate it if you can comment on it. Don't be shy to be lengthy and put any small thing you may think is irrelevant. Design, content, layout, color scheme; shoot.

Cheers :)

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Or colourlovers.com - aka the website Adobe stole the idea from.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

This site is better: http://www.colortoy.net/

It lets you enter a colour value and then will give you a colour scheme that compliments it.

5. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

They aren't bad... but I'd assume they are too neon for most people's taste. Try making them a little darker so they are less out there :p

7. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, yeah. I started with pastel colors but it was too dull. So I came up with these ones. Other problem with the colors is that they're both strong. Having a strong accent color and a secondary one would allow a more logical implementation.

I'll edit this post when I'll come up with new ones.

Anything about the layout ?

8. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Agreed..

Mathcolo got it right by saying that they are "too neon".

I understand your reasoning for picking the colors, but the colors create too much of a contrast. There are a number of people, including myself, who have a hard time viewing sharp color contrasts (such as white, bright blue, and bright green all together).

If I have to strain my eyes to see the site, I won't view the site. Just a hint. :p

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Looks OK to me, although it's pretty standard iWeb.

10. henrysoup macrumors newbie

henrysoup

I like the design, but agree about the colors. Use a different blue and green that compliment each other.