Website I've Visited Taken Over By Computer Hacker

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beeinformed, Apr 15, 2012.

1. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hi!

A website called www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com (this website provides a support forum for people have a rare serious autoimmune disease), which I visit frequently has been taken over by a computer hacker.

When I had clicked on this website, instead of seeing the support forum, I saw a photograph of a person with a black hat and next to him, was a title named "V for Vendetta or J for Justice". Underneath this title, was a text of what this person was espousing.

One of my concerns is that my username and password has been hijacked by this hacker as I had received today an "e-mail message" from the "administrator" of the website (I did not open that e-mail message).

I would appreciate any suggestions/advice from the members! Thanks! :)

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you are worried and use the same password on multiple sites then change your password on the site you still have access too.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yes, this is good advice. At this point assume your username and password are known to the hacking group. If you use them on other sites, then change them.

Also, if your OS X installation is up to date it is perfectly fine to look at an email from the admin of the website. You can't catch anything by just looking. Just don't download or install anything. At some point the admin will email with legitimate instructions on how to reset your account.

Sorry you are going through this.

Stoopid hackers, eh?