website link auto-completion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bosstucker, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bosstucker macrumors newbie

On the tiger computers at my college, all i had to do was type "macrumors" then push enter and it would automatically add http://www. and .com and go there all in one push of Enter. On my new mbp with lepoard it doesn't do that. it just goes to a verizon search engine. any idea on how to turn this back on?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

That's not an OS function, it's a browser function. Try Firefox.

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I assume you use Verizon for internet access, right? It sounds like a DNS issue. I use OpenDNS which includes typo-correction as a feature, and just typing the phrase works for me too.

Maybe consider switching and see if it works? :)

I use Firefox, but I tried doing this in Safari as well and it also worked - I'm pretty sure it's DNS related.

4. bosstucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I got verizon at my parents house. So theres no way around that while i'm here? What is DNS?

5. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Umm. It took me a while to get my head around it, so I might not be the best at explaining it lol!

Basically, it's what your router connects to when you type in an website, and it matches it up with the ip address for that particular site. So then it can take you there. ^^

If you want to get rid of that Verizon search site when you type a word, you'd have to access the router settings and change which DNS servers you connect to, for instance to the OpenDNS one I mentioned.

It sounds pretty complex but in reality it's just changing a few numbers, and the end functionality remains mostly the same (apart from some quirks as you've noticed).

6. bosstucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Righteous, I'm trying that open dns. Thanks Karen. Does this have any negative effects?

7. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Cool. :) I doubt anything negative will happen, if anything it could protect your internet access from downtime - it's a global network that's very reliable. Some users report it being faster too, although I haven't noticed a difference.

It might be a good idea to write down your current DNS addresses, just in case you decide to switch back.