Website link incorrect on Google-problem involves iWeb,SEO Tool for iWeb,&GoogleWebM

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by philosophy.inc, Apr 23, 2012.

1. philosophy.inc, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

philosophy.inc macrumors newbie

Hi

My problem involves iWeb, SEO Tool for iWEB, and Google Webmaster Tools.

I created my own website using iWeb.

I used SEO Tool for iWeb to add meta-tags and page descriptions (I think incl. those appearing at the top of the your web-browser too).

I then registered with Google Webmaster tools and verified my website, had it retrieved as a googlebot, and submitted the relevant information to their index.

The problem comes in when I search for my site.

While my site appears, the link is to a widget*.html page that has no information except for the description of my webpage (appearing at the top of the browser).

(...widget1_markup.html)

I returned to Google Webmaster tools and applied to have that link demoted, I had my wesbite page crawled and only submitted my initial index.html page to the Google’s index.

While I think some of this may have helped for a short while, the link appearing after searching is again the same incorrect one.

I want Google to only display the following (appropriate link) when people search for my website:

...welcome.html

I also do not mind if other proper pages of my site are displayed, but not blank pages as it has been doing (above).

I would like to continue using iWeb and to have the freedom of manipulating on my own site design. Please assist me if you can. I am certain that I am not the only one who has experienced this issue.

Many thanks.

2. philosophy.inc, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

philosophy.inc thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution

The title of each web page was contained in inserted html snippets I created using iWeb.

I went through my sites' pages, deleted all the html snippets, and inserted html code (e.g. <title>Page Title</title> into each html file after I had published them to a folder on my computer.

I edited the html files using Mac TextEdit. One has to go to TextEdit > Preferences > Open & Save > Tick "Ignore rich text commands in HTML files" in order to edit the html.

The only downside is that I may have to manually add the same code to my html files each time I make changes to the site.