website not displayed in iphone

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thosecars82, Apr 7, 2011.

1. thosecars82, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

thosecars82 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I have a website which does not show its content in iphone. It's a website that is built with swishmax and its files are swf files. Does anyone has any idea about why might be happening?
    Thanks

2. designguy79 macrumors 6502

iPhone and iPad cannot display Flash, so you will need to either create a new site using standard web technologies (HTML, CSS) ... Or create a "sister" site that loads for people that don't have Flash and use some browser detection to direct them to that page.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Flash is a proprietary technology owned by Adobe. You need to make a site using standard web technology.

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Ouch

Does no one code websites in html and css these days?? I thought iPhone/ipad not working with flash was known by everyone by now:(

5. thosecars82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Isn't there any app to run flash in iphone?
    thanks

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There is, but if your content doesn't display in Safari, no one's going to stick around to try and make it work. Use something other than Flash if you want it to work on the iPhone.

jW

7. thosecars82 thread starter macrumors newbie

hello
    i'd be glad if u told me what application i can use to display the website in the iphone. As long as I cAn see the website i don't really care about whether other people can see it or not.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Umm, ok?

CloudBrowse is the one I've used, it's actually just a connection to Firefox running on a PC that you can then use. It's not quick, but it works.

jW

9. thosecars82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this application freeware? Otherwise, how much does it cost?

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You might try looking it up on the App Store and finding that out for yourself.

Obviously research is not your strong suit.

11. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

It's not really smart to abandon the perfectly good SWF content of your site just because 2% of web traffic comes from iPhones and iPads, which don't have access to browser plug-ins.

But you should employ detection routines so users on those devices can still see *something*

12. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

It's mainly old content or designers/developers that don't know what they're doing. Flash is dying as a primary form of content. It'll still be around as a niche product for projects where it's really needed, but it won't be a main interface anymore. It's falling into the same position as Java applets.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Even back in 2000, usability experts mentioned flash failings for the same reason that flash is crippled on most mobile devices.

- non-search engine friendly
    - inability to directly email a "page" within flash
    - useless animation
    - large download
    - inability to scale for different devices
    - not blind / reader friendly
    - etc.

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In addition to all of that, it's not particularly touch-friendly, at least not most current uses. It generally depends on mouse-overs, which means best case scenario is multiple touches to achieve a goal, instead of simple taps, and many times flash controls are unavailable via touch.

jW

15. UTclassof89, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

And people who are stuck in 2000 keep parroting these arguments (that have not been correct since 2001) no matter how many times they are corrected by members on these boards.

- If you author alternate content, the page holding the SWF is exactly as search-engine friendly as anything on the web.
    -you can deep link within Flash
    -there is such a thing as useful animations
    -SWF files are quite small (unless loaded with large assets--just like HTML pages)
    -SWFs can be scaled for different screens
    -SWFs do work with screen readers
    - SWFs are touch friendly
    - etc.