Website not linking to the file I want it too.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by graphicsward, Jul 9, 2010.

1. graphicsward macrumors member

graphicsward

Ok, I'm not sure how to explain this... about all I know about coding are the letters html and php, so please keep the answers simple since I have no clue.

I'm updating my website using iweb and itweak, it's done works perfect and is uploaded, but when I type the address graphicsward.com it goes straight to the old folder with the old version. when i delete that version it still tries to go there. I've updated the index file which I think is pointing to the folder I want but apparently I'm missing something. the main file is in php now and not html like the old one.

the site links to the folder "gw" but I'd like to link it to the folder "-"

Thank you very very much everyone.
    michael

BYW, itweak is a really nifty little programme. I recommend it.

2. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

3. graphicsward thread starter macrumors member

graphicsward

sounds easy how can i change it.

I just deleted that space in the index file, saved and uploaded, but it didn't help. I even just noticed that deleteing the index file the site still goes to the "gw" folder. What am i missing?

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

5. graphicsward thread starter macrumors member

graphicsward

403 error?

What is and how can i fix a 403 error?

6. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

403 Forbidden error is what is says it is. You do not have permission to view the file using that method. You need to change the file permissions on the server to something like 777, test out that it works.

All you need to have on the root directory of the server, or public_html, is an index.html, .htm, .php etc... that does something. If you want it to redirect, then your server control panel should have something already built in to allow you to do that without using header, meta or JS redirect.

7. graphicsward thread starter macrumors member

graphicsward

Thank you everyone for trying to help me, but as i siad befor I don't know anything about coding. So i don't really know what to do based on your suggestions. I'll try to find help another way.

As far as the server i just pay someone to host my site so i don't have any controls over that.

Thanks again,
    m