Website on local network

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PaigeGrel, Aug 7, 2011.

1. PaigeGrel macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've been trying to find an answer to this but I'm not even sure what to look for. I'm running a server on my imac for an internal network website.

I've found that from time to time, my network IP changes and we end up having to find my IP address again just so the server can be accessed again. Is there any way that I can set it up so I can have a "domain name" like URL to use that won't go past the router so we can bookmark one URL and find the website easily but it can't be accessed externally. I know it's weird but I do use the website as a testing ground for code and database setups so I don't want it exposed to security risks.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Paige

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

You are now using DHCP on the router. Switch to static IPs. You will then have a fixed URL for each machine on your local network. There are probably several methods to avoid intrusions. One way is to forward outside requests to an unassigned IP address when static IPs are used.

Currently, I use DHCP on my router. But the IP addresses for two machines and a printer remain unchanged.

3. PaigeGrel thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I managed to set my imac so the IP address stays constant by changing the network settings to manually configured IPv4. Cheers for that, I'm still a bit mac blonde at the moment after only recently making the switch from PC

4. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

You can simply set the hostname of the server to "anything.any" or leave it as localhost.

Http://localhost/ should take you to the local web server on any network connected machine.