Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
hi,

if you could take a look at 24288.co.uk and let me know what you think...

The site is still being finished so may it be a bit rough round the edges... also this site requires a fairly fast machine because each line is being drawn by code, so would be interested to see how it runs on peoples machines...

cheers

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I think the movie could definitely be optimized a lot more as it runs pretty slow on my powerbook. Such a simple animation should run very smoothly (at least if they were keyframed). Technically, it's pretty cool if that's all done by math, but user experience-wise, the framerate is kind of annoying.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
ok, cheers...

not alot i can do about the code unless someone is willing to offer some actionscript advice...

in retrospect it would be better to do it as an animation, but at least i taught myself a bit more by doing it this way...

if people could keep opinions coming that would be good and greatly appreciated...

this site does seem to only run ok on a g5, but would be interested in opinions from anyone...

thanks

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi. I like the site but just one note about the animation. It runs extremely choppy and very slow on my Mac Mini Intel Solo. I know you said you couldn't render the code but I thought I should tell you.

Kevin

ericmjl

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2006
Same thing: slow on my PIII 800

It runs slowly for me too. I think it's just the specifications of my computer.

The navigation at the bottom isn't very conspicuous. I was hunting for it for about 10 seconds before I found the navigation on the bottom-left hand corner. Why not reposition it elsewhere?

------------------------
Fujitsu Lifebook E6595 PIII 800 MHz, 384MB, 40GB, 16MB ATI Radeon Mobility
Waiting to switch.
MacBook 2.0GHz, 1GB, 120GB. Can't wait.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Quite honestly, I like it.

It's not very often that I say something like that about a flash site. But in this case I think it really adds something to the design of the site. I had a bit of a problem finding the navigation the first time, about 10 secs.

It doesn't really seem to be choppy to me. I am on a 1mb connection on a 12" ibook with firefox.

good luck

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
ok, thanks for all your feedback...

this is really helpfull.

type size comment is interesting... its set at 12pt... could push it up 13...

having one problem, uploading updated stuff in dreamweaver and its still running old version, cleared cache and everything, even tried taking the site down and uploading it again... any suggestions... am presuming its probably to do with the server.. or somint

the slowness is a problem, but like i said, i dont think im gonna resolve it, would mean a huge rewrite (unless we can optimise the code)... but its interesting to get benchmarks..

the people we want to view it, should have relatively fast machines becuase of the industry we are targeting...

cheers

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
LittleJoe said:
the font is just one size too small for me... im finding it hard to read (17" mbp @ 1680x1050)
Agreed, I found myself squinting a bit to read everything. Other than that it looks great and runs smooth here.

deadfrog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
UK / Bournemouth
cool, ok thanks...

managed to check it out on my mates 17' macbook pro and yeah i know what you mean about the type, but its what our course director loves... small type... is silly, been trained into it, and it will keep him happy if we keep it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.