Website punctuation changing to ? marks...Help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by BCS, Dec 5, 2007.

1. BCS macrumors member

My websites been going good for months and know apostophes and quote marks are changing to question marks. Using dreamweaver.

Thanks,

BCS

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Not sure if there was an answer posted here, but a couple ideas off the top of my head.

Text encoding: depending on how your browser is set up and the encoding set in your HTML head, you can see some strange characters pop up in place of punctuation.

"Smart quotes": Dreamweaver might not be reformatting smart quotes from a program like Word to a character entity (e.g. ’ or ’ for an apostrophe) - check your pages in code view

Any links to the sites in question or code samples you can post will help.

3. Photomax macrumors regular

There are a lot of symbols that can trip up a site's presentation: foreign language characters etc.

See this site for a complete chart:http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

That can also happen when a change is made in Dreamweaver's Preferences -> New Document -> Encoding (i.e. UTF8 vs. ISO-8859-1) and the document was saved in one type of encoding and re-saved as another (or the HTML header uses another encoding method). The other advice given by others here are the most likely causes, however.