Website requires internet explorer, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by claimed4all, Jan 2, 2009.

1. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I have a realtor website that requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater. I have a windows computer at home, but I would like to be able to visit it on the macbook. Is there any way around that, like "faking" what browser you are using, or a simple plugin? Please let me know, Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did you/he even try? Does it work? If not, download Safari 4 and under the Develop menu, change your User Agent to something that works.

3. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

I have tried getting there with safari and firefox, but it stops me because I am not using an excepted browser. Is there another way so I am not using Beta Software?

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Can you post the website?

Did you do this?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Safari 4 isn't a beta. Safari 4 is millions of times more stable than Safari 3. Safari 3 crashes constantly. I can't even force Safari 4 to crash.

6. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

The website is www.mlxchange.com and I will try the safari 4 trick. Where is the best place to download it?

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You don't need Webkit (or Safari 4 or whatever you want to call it), the option to add a developer menu was made public with Safari 3.1 (it has been there "forever"', but hidden).

Just goto Safari preferences -> Advanced:

_Skjermbilde 1.jpg

Note that if it's MSIE only because it uses some weird controllers, then it won't help to identify as MSIE...

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

OP, have you tried IE for Mac? I had it at one time, but it was buggy. It might give you what you need in this case though.:eek: Good luck.

9. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

The developer menu change did get me a step further, but I still get an error when the page loads and it will not load the next page I need. Any other ideas?

As for internet explorer, I thought they only made it up to 4.0 for the mac.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

5.3, I think. It's really rather worthless.

11. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I'm sure you'll have a need to utilize windows in same shape or form again in the future, so it may be in your best interest to set up a virtual machine on you laptop for quick access to needed windows only programs like IE.

There is a nice piece of software called virtualbox. It's free and works just as well as parallels and vmware.

Download virtualbox and install a copy of windows xp or vista and you'll be on business. XP will run seamlessly with OS x, so you can copy and paste between the two OSs.

If you don't have a copy of windows xp, there're ways of getting it...I use a version called the pirates edition. It's pretty nice. It comes with a pirate wallpaper.

12. timestoby macrumors 6502

13. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Or virtualbox or vmware fusion. Virtualbox since it's free and should do everything you need. Parallels and vmware will run you 80 bucks unless you get it the unethical way.

14. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

...not quite it would seem.

15. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I went to the website in Safari 3.2.1 and I got the splash screen saying the website is optimized for Internet Explorer 6. However, I could use the back button and it led me to the website homepage. I could click around the links and the website seems to be fully functioning.

Attached Files:

16. claimed4all thread starter macrumors 6502

I noticed that to, but I can not click the "Go" button to get into the system.

17. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

People that built that website are plonkers and followed no standards or conventions. It got over 20 errors when validating the site.

Pathetic attempt.