Website Reseller Hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thefunkymunky, Jun 2, 2010.

1. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Hey,

I'm a self-employed graphic designer and currently have a holding page for the business via Mr Site. Now before you say, "WTF. Mr Site. Crock of ****". I basically got free domain registration and hosting for a year when I opened my business bank account. Now, that year is coming to end in a few months and I want to change my hosting company. At the same time, I was thinking about offering reseller hosting. For the sake of argument, I'll use Web Hosting UK as an example. If I was to have their base package at £14.99 per month, does that mean I can only offer the same sort of package as a reseller or does it mean I would be able to offer my own packages as long as they adhere to the limitations of reseller package I signed up with?

I also have a personal site hosted with 123-reg but I don't think they offer reseller options, unless I'm mistaken. What would be my best option? I'd like to move my business domain name (which is a dot com) to the new hosting company as maybe my personal domain (dot co dot uk) to keep everything in one place.

Any advice or options would be helpful. :cool:

2. yotd macrumors member

Beware

I had (and still have) a reseller account with Site5. I can recommend them. But I have been trying to close the account for the best part of two years (not trying very hard but still would quite like to close the account). If you do sites for people and want to offer basic hosting as part of the package, it's a good idea. You probably won't make much money from it.

BUT be aware that every account you sign up is one extra concern and one one extra thing on your plate when the time comes that you want to cancel your reseller account. Migrating 50, 20 or even 5 clients can be time-consuming. Especially if you only signed them up because they weren't tech-savvy and needed a solution bundled.

These days I just advise people to buy their own hosting and be done with it.

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi :)

I use this reseller scheme and I've had no problems. In fact, I'm really rather happy with how it's working out.

They aren't the cheapest reseller package, but they offer quick support if you need it and loads of control over your products.

Most importantly, none of my clients complain!

/Doug

p.s. that link is an affiliate link... but I really do recommend the product. If you feel like helping a guy out, I'd be very grateful!

4. steerpikegg macrumors member

I second Heart Internet - I've been using it for about 4 years and they really do offer both great support and a ton of control and features.