Website Resolution Issues

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by John J Rambo, Jul 9, 2010.

1. John J Rambo macrumors member

Hi Guys, I have designed a site at a resolution of 1280x1024, but viewing it at 1024x768 makes it look massive and a bit blurry. Is there any way to keep the format of the higher resolution version when viewed at 1024x768?

thanks for the help!

2. nightwolf macrumors member

nightwolf

Big Mistake

I studied webdesign. I recommend you make the width no more than 760. Why? There are people out there that still use 800 X 600 screens and many more with 1280. No matter what ppl say... most screens are still 72 dpi (pixels per inch)

Redo ur website...

3. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Actually, the standard these days is to make your widths no larger then 960 pixels. 760 is gone away with neon colors and roller blades. 1200 is still a bit too big. 10-14 percent are still using 1024 resolution.

4. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

your website's width should not be larger than 960 pixels. If someone is still using 800X600, they do not have internet. They just use it to play solitaire.

5. eponym macrumors 6502

You're not just changing the resolution setting on your monitor are you?

6. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

7. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

I'll post a couple of examples of what I mean. The site will function fine when viewed at the lower resolution but its just not looking the way I want it too.

Attached Files:

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

They look the same. If you are using the same monitor and changing the resolution, you are simply making 1 pixel spread out and display over several. That is why it will look blury.

Get the firefox web developers toolbar plug-in and change the size of your browser window to accurately test what it would look like in a browser that size - don't change your screen resolution.

/Doug

9. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

10. John J Rambo thread starter macrumors member

Just installed the developers toolbar... fantastic.

So just to get this right, if some one is viewing this on a monitor the same as mine (top resolution is 1280x768) but set at a lower resolution, it will simply be blown up on screen to fit causing it to blur?

11. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Correct. 1 pixel is 1 pixel when it comes to LCD monitors. If you ask it to show fewer pixels than it has, it will enlarge the data to spread over several pixels.

Best thing to do is resize your browser window to the resolution you want to test.