Website Review

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SChaput, Jul 10, 2009.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

Hello All,

I've come to trust Macrumors members as they've helped me out alot in the past. I hope you all can also help me in my new venture.

I've been designing my site located here, for awhile. Yes, i realize its not exactly the right 'season' for the target audience of the website, but i believe if i spend the summer making it all i want it to be, it could be something worthwhile in the fall.
    I've never really considered myself an expert in the art of design but i hope that i have stumbled onto something that looks halfway decent.

I'm not sure if i need to require the ads provided by google at this point in time, however, i plan on implementing them sometime in the future, so i figured might as well incorporate them into the design now.

I look forward to hearing your comments and hopefully lots of suggestions!
    Thanks a lot in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You've got over 70 validation errors, start working on those. I can't even get the page to render in FF 3.5.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, validation is way off as you don't even have the HTML tag. All I see is a blank page when I visit the site.

4. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

I'll be honest. That is just horrible, simply terrible.

1) You don't need two ad banners on each side. Get rid of one
    2) It looks too 90s. Give it some Web 2.0.
    3) Too busy, it just doesn't look "real", something I could take seriously. Look at fmylife.com, go for simplicity :cool:

Also, some <html> tags and a DTD would be a nice start too.

5. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I can see where all of your points are coming from. I could feel my code becoming very messy as i coded it, i should have known the validator wasn't going to like the majority of it.

You're right, now that you mention it i can see how outdated it looks compared to most other sites out there. I think I'm going to go back and start from the ground up.

Thanks for your help!

6. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I recommend taking an online training series for designing and coding. Visit Lynda.com or KelbyTraining.com. For like $30 it's well worth it!

7. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I'm getting lots of 404 and 500 errors.

Yes you need the <html> tags and what is the doctype? It does not tell you.

It does look fine in safari when it does not give me a 404 or 500 error though.

The only visual issue is I see "nav goes here" not your navagation

8. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

I recently changed some things around to try to appeal to more people, aswell as attempting to clean up my code.

I'm aware of the many, many errors remaining at http://validator.w3.org/. However, I'm hoping more people appreciate the new design.

Thoughts?

www.ihatemyroommate.net

Thanks again.

EDIT:
    Having some permission issues right now, sorry about that.. trying to get them fixed.

EDIT Again:
    Still having permission issues, sorry to bother you guys, i shouldnt have been messing around. Haha, I have my permissions all set to 777 trying to figure out where the issue is but not having any luck. I'll post if anything changes.

Last Edit:
    All set. Thanks for bearing with me. I promise not to touch it anymore. haha