Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

formicaman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
First time preordering...so might be a just a stupid question. Plan on using the app, and I would assume the website slows down due to the heavy traffic, but has anyone experienced the app being slower on preorder days?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Both app and the website will have heavy traffic because they’ll hit the same backend APIs.

The only real difference is that people might not know about the app so the load balancer that handles the traffic from the app might have a slight benefit. Also web rendering might delay the process a bit depending on the browser used.

Reactions: vtboyarc

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
It should be online at 09:01 here in my country, so are you guys saying that it could be available some minutes before by refreshing the app?

Colin8

macrumors member
May 12, 2014
I just tried, I can get from a completely closed app to 'TouchID for Apple Pay' within 11s for a mock 8 purchase in the app. In a browser it took me over 25 seconds.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Can somebody clarify the one-time passcode verification that happens when filling out the carrier info with Apple? (Phone#, zip, last 4 social). It sends me a text with a code that I then enter on the iPad or Mac. I thought it might be the 2 step verification (which I turned off). Not sure.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I believe the App is supposed to be faster.

With the App and IUP, you can choose the phone you want and get credit approval in advance. When it comes time to order, you verify payment information and address and that's it.

When I ordered my 8 Plus, I went opened the App on my iPad and was directed to open the App on my phone to complete my order.

Will it work this smoothly with the iPhone X? Who knows.

Wife says my wife needs a phone now, so I may give her my 8 Plus and get myself the X. As long as I get it before Christmas, I'm good.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
I believe the App is supposed to be faster.

With the App and IUP, you can choose the phone you want and get credit approval in advance. When it comes time to order, you verify payment information and address and that's it.

When I ordered my 8 Plus, I went opened the App on my iPad and was directed to open the App on my phone to complete my order.

Will it work this smoothly with the iPhone X? Who knows.

Wife says my wife needs a phone now, so I may give her my 8 Plus and get myself the X. As long as I get it before Christmas, I'm good.

I will do the same. Give my wife my 8 Plus and hope I get it before December....at least New Years. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: jbachandouris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.