Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Website wouldn't let me close, shut down, took over mac

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I was just on what seemed to be a reputable website, when it suddenly popped up something which appeared to be due to a virus.. I panicked, but I remember it mentioned banking and facebook details.. I think it said something about the government as well.. It seemed like it mentioned my IP and ISP also.. I'd like to see it again for details, but I'm afraid to visit that website again.

It wouldn't let me close my browser, or even shut down the mac.. I just held the power button, and then powered it up again, and it appears to be fine. I think it was just the popup notification window that prevented it..

So, could I have a virus? How can I tell if there are any issues or if someone is viewing my activity? Please help..

Last edited:

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
It's likely just a website that tried to scare you into giving them your credit card info, and hijacked the browser to prevent you from being able to close it.

Reactions: ABC5S
Comment

AceC

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
It's likely just a website that tried to scare you into giving them your credit card info, and hijacked the browser to prevent you from being able to close it.
That's what I was thinking and hoping.. However, would hijacking the browser prevent me from being able to shut down?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Comment

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
That's what I was thinking and hoping.. However, would hijacking the browser prevent me from being able to shut down?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Sure...the computer has to shut down all programs before it can shut down so if the browser was locked it couldn't close it.

There's probably a free antivirus program you could download on the App Store.

Comment

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2016
Hold option and secondary click over the Safari dock icon, it will give you the option to force quit the application next time.

Comment

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I was just on what seemed to be a reputable website, when it suddenly popped up something which appeared to be due to a virus.. I panicked, but I remember it mentioned banking and facebook details.. I think it said something about the government as well.. It seemed like it mentioned my IP and ISP also.. I'd like to see it again for details, but I'm afraid to visit that website again.

It wouldn't let me close my browser, or even shut down the mac.. I just held the power button, and then powered it up again, and it appears to be fine. I think it was just the popup notification window that prevented it..

So, could I have a virus? How can I tell if there are any issues or if someone is viewing my activity? Please help..
You probably simply got a popup trying to scare you into giving them money to "fix" your computer. They'll usually hijack the browser to prevent you from closing the window.

Nothing to worry about, just force quit safari and get on your merry way.

Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I agree with the others. It probably was just a script that was scaring you.

These can lock up the system pretty well. If need be you can always hold down the power button for a few seconds. That will reboot the system.

Comment

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
Instead of force-quitting Safari, going into the Safari prefs under Security and turning off JavaScript will usually allow you to close the offending tab.

Comment

jlc1978

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2009
You probably also want to clear Safari's history and cache so when it reopens it doesn't auto - load the offending site and start the process all over.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.