Websites disconnecting my internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nerimon, Mar 8, 2008.

1. nerimon macrumors newbie

Hey there, I have a really frustrating issue which I'm hoping you can help with ...

The problem is this: there are a couple websites I visit which, as soon as they start to load, disconnect my internet connection. Before I go any further I'll just go through my setup; I have an iMac, a MacBook Air and an iPhone, they're all connected to an Airport Extreme which is plugged into a Zoom ADSL modem.

The websites are Myspace.com (or any part of it - the front page, member's profile, etc) and a proboards forum. When I go on to the page on, say, my iMac- I'll use MySpace as the example - it'll start to load, and then it'll look like it's still loading but the page won't progress any further. Then my IMs disconnect, emails can't be checked - the internet connection gets lost. Furthermore, if I then try to browse internet on the iPhone or the Air I can't, it knocks out the connection all over the house. I have to go downstairs and turn the modem off and on again to reset the connection and then everything will be fine - but again if I try to access those sites, it'll happen all over again.

When I click Network Diagnostics, I get two yellow circles by Internet and Server, the rest are green. Airport Utility can still detect my Airport Extreme so I assume the problem is with the router. Resetting the Airport doesn't fix the problem, only the router. Curiously, when I go to reset the router, the lights on it are all green, showing there is no connection problem - so what could this be? Is there some kind of code that can kick people's connections? And if so, surely on something like MySpace more people would be affected?

Before I get in touch with the modem maker I just wanted to run it by you guys, because it can be a pain manual troubleshooting, having to keep going down to reset the router over and over every time something doesn't work.

I hope to hear from you, thanks =)

2. nerimon thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand people might not be sure of the problem but if anyone can suggest anything that I could try, it'd really help me out ...

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

wow this is strange. Have you gone into Console and looked at the log for any clues as to exactly what the error is?

4. stevegmu macrumors regular

Seems odd. I can see browsers shutting down with certain sites, not modems, however.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Plug you iMac directly (via ethernet) into the modem and try it that way. If it still fails, its your modem, otherwise, its probably the AEBS.

6. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

You weren't clear on one thing. Does this happen on any web site you visit, or just some of them? And also, does it happen on all of the devices you own that access the internet?

7. thegarbageman macrumors newbie

yeah...

I have the EXACT same problem. I have a new iMac desktop and certain sites disconnect me and the rest of the house from the internet. Myspace is guaranteed to do it and then randomly (every 45 seconds...(even the smiley faces didnt load just now)) my computer will disconnect.

it drives me crazy. I thought it was the modem but i bought a new one and it didnt help. no one elses computer in the house does this and even after pluging directly into the DSL modem i still had the same problem. its ridiculous

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Sorry, but you have conflicting statements here...

That doesn't make sense. Are all the computers experiencing the problem or just yours?

9. thegarbageman macrumors newbie

to clarify

If I visit certain sites on my computer it will disconnect every computer in the house, including mine, from the internet.

If I am away from my computer and the other computers are being used, they dont ever disconnect from the internet.

10. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I have never really heard of this before. Is it possible that your router is infected with a trojan horse and when you visit these sites it is triggering this?

On your other computers, if you access the same sites, does the same thing happen?

I'm at a loss on this one.