Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
So this has been a fairly consistent issue with my 2012 Macbook Pro.

For 20 minutes they will all work fine. Then suddenly something will happen (don't know what) and cause my browsers to basically break. (safari, chrome, firefox)

They will either load half a page, then take 20 seconds to load the rest, or the pages will not load at all and the blue loading bar at the top will be about a quarter of the way through and stop.

I have tried resetting the browsers multiple times, using Safari's "Reset" action in the toolbar. Same for Firefox.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks folks

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Okay I have applied the OpenDNS. It'll take a while to see if it helped however because it's an on and off problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well reporting back. It has not fixed it. Still not loading pages completely/not loading at all. Sometimes the loading wheel will just spin for 20 seconds then the page will load. Not sure what's going on.
Since the problem appears to exist for multiple browsers, another possibility is that it may be an issue with your ISP.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I would suspect the router. When your pages stall, reset the router and see if they start working. If so, it's the router.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I'm starting to think the same thing to be honest.

I'm going to do a test at school tomorrow with their wifi. See how that is.

I tried resetting the router, no luck :(

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
So its not my internet, same thing happening at school.

I was hoping it would be the internet but this obviously is my Macbook... any more ideas?

My last resort is reinstalling OSX and restoring from a time machine backup.

My question is will this reset all the terminal commands I've done and all those settings? (I want it to). I'll try bringing it back to bone stock and seeing if it works better. Maybe I messed something up.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My last resort is reinstalling OSX and restoring from a time machine backup.

My question is will this reset all the terminal commands I've done and all those settings?
Yes, it will. I'd recommend keeping the OpenDNS server settings, for security.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Yes, it will. I'd recommend keeping the OpenDNS server settings, for security.

Unfortunately I can't use those DNS settings at school because it won't allow me to access the network sign in unless it's stock DNS.

So this means I'd need to change it back everyday when I got home, not too sure if I want to do that.

If it fixed the problem I'd do it in a second, but if its just security I'm not all too worried. Nothing much of important on my laptop.

Okay looks like I'm doing a restore. :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.