Websites too small for 27" screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by randomdude84, Nov 6, 2013.

1. randomdude84 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've had my brand new iMac running for 2 days now and can't figure out how to make websites adjust to the size of the 27" screen. Every site is just so small with a ton of white space left over on the screen.

2. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

Are you using your web browser in full screen mode? If so, I would recommend not doing that. Mine is normally about in the middle of the screen, with maybe 20% of the desktop showing on each side. And if I'm working with multiple browsers (usually Opera, Firefox, and Chrome)-- which happens frequently-- I will stack them so that I can go back and forth between them easily.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The website developer determines how it looks in a browser. Relative, Liquid, Fluid, Flexible, Fixed and Elastic Layouts are ways that a developer can control how their site looks in a browser. Here is a link to explain it better. Too much to post here.

I have several websites I manage and they are all set different depending on the design I have created for any particular site. Hope this explains it a little for you.

My browser on my 27" iMac shows the same as you explain your is. Would you really want to turn your head from side to side to read? Much easier to just move the eyes.

4. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

It's pretty typical to have a browser window at half-size or two-thirds size on a 27" display. Even responsive websites (that scale to suit phones/small/med/large screens) have an upper limit: there's only so much horizontal space you can fill!

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Same problem here. The workaround I found was to press Cmd++ (command+plus sign) to make it bigger and fit the screen.

6. Kayan macrumors 6502

The thing that I wish Apple would add in the Preferences to Safari (like what Chrome has) is a default Zoom so that whenever you opened any new window/tab, it would already Cmd++ however much you like for you. It's an irksome duty to have to hit Cmd++ every window I open.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

Agreed. There are some workarounds, but none of them work 100%, causing scaling issues and funkiness, no matter what anyone says.

You can try this one, if you like:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35756/allpageszoom-safari-extension

It's not especially graceful, but it has fewer side effects than the .css files you can plug into Safari.

8. Dunmail macrumors regular

There are several reasons why websites don't expand to fill large screen widths: it becomes increasingly hard to read long lines of text - around 70 characters is the maximum; the design might "fall apart" at large widths.

A lot of sites fill the browser window up to a certain width then apply margins at either side once this is reached with the content in the centre of the window.

Like others have said, there's little reason to have your browser window running full screen, given the screen resolution of the 27" iMac I'd say that you only need the browser to be set around 60% of the screen width. One reason you might not want this is if you have lots of tabs open - I've 16 open at the moment and it's just about right.