Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamrc

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
I hope that m.youtube.com gets updated to where all the Youtube videos will work through AirPlay.

whitehill76

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Glasgow
oh well

So anyone got an actual website which works with airplay?! tried cnn.com but it takes me to mobile site which doesnt seem to have any video!

After latest update the added functionality i have on atv2 is MLB, that not much use to me in the UK.

Also i had to reset ATV tonight after it stopped outputing sound to TV (airplay from iphone was tried off and on), hope its a one off event as re-entering all passwords on the atv remote is a pain.

Update - videos on apple.com work. Wow, im so happy, thats so useful.

Last edited:

bbbobwilson

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
Stash Pro

The browser in Stash Pro will allow you to airplay videos to apple tv2 from some websites ie you****. Also videos from sites you have dowloaded within the app will airplay to apple tv2. Just make sure you have the latest software on the apple tv2.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I feel a little bit deceived by Apple. We all have known about the abilities of AirPlay for months now (since the ATV2 came out). We all knew that Apple would open this up to all videos and this was confirmed over a month ago when the first 4.3 beta came out. Due to these reasons, I specifically went out and bought an ATV. I didnt care about renting movies via iTunes or Netflix, I specifically wanted AirPlay.

So, the day when 4.3 comes out, we find out that really none of us can really use AirPlay to send videos to our ATV2. It is up to the website to initiate this. They should have called the ATV2/iPhone connection AirPlay "capable".

Now we have to rely in (1) the website videos not being in Flash and (2) the website AirPlay enabled. Aren't we living in a time when technology itself could've gotten around these stupid hurdles? I guess we'll have to either wait for the 3rd party app or Cydia app that will allow us to AirPlay ANY video on the web, no strings attached or hidden requirements.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I feel a little bit deceived by Apple. We all have known about the abilities of AirPlay for months now (since the ATV2 came out). We all knew that Apple would open this up to all videos and this was confirmed over a month ago when the first 4.3 beta came out...
I don't know what you mean by "...all videos and this was confirmed over a month ago..." since it has been documented for several months that websites would have to include code to enable AirPlay video. It was only a few poorly informed individuals who were saying that it would just work with everything and for the past several weeks there have been numerous posts that have correctly described the limitations in AirPlay.

In any case, I agree that it would be truly wonderful if AirPlay would just work with every H.264 video on the internet, but that's not going to happen anytime soon or maybe never.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
How did you get it to work? I have AirPlay turned on and when I went to CNN.COM on my iPod Touch, nothing happened. It played on the iPod as usual.
I think some videos on CNN are AirPlay enabled and others are not. Try one of the more recent articles, that is news that happened in just the last 24 hours.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
It appears FunnyOrDie.com has some of their videos enabled for AirPlay (the ones i watched anyway).

uzzy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Seattle
As fpnc stated in post #20, there is a bookmarklet that you can add to your iPad that will enable airplay on HTML5 videos. I've tried it and it works. Here are the steps to add this to your iPad.

1. Bookmark this page on your iPad and call it anything you want (i.e. Airplay).
2. Copy this text all of the text below (in red) starting with javascript and ending with the semicolon

javascript:d=document,e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://bendodson.com/bookmarklets/ios-airplay.js?'+(new%20Date()*1);void(d.body.appendChild(e));

3. Edit the bookmark you just saved on your iPad and replace the hyperlink (the one that starts with http:// and replace it with the text you just copied.
4. Go to ESPN or CNN and load a page that shows a video (you'll see the video with the play symbol inside a circle). This is an HTML5 video.
5. Wait for the entire page to load (all images, etc.).
6. Go up to your bookmark and click Airplay bookmarklet that you just created (you'll see the sill image of the video flash).
7. Press play and then enable airplay as you would normally. Now it will show up on your TV via AppleTV.

I tried this with ESPN and CNN and was able to play videos to my TV.

Also tried NHL.com, Foxnews.com, and MLB.com.

uzzaw

Last edited:

Tsac77

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
As fpnc stated in post #20, there is a bookmarklet that you can add to your iPad that will enable airplay on HTML5 videos. I've tried it and it works. Here are the steps to add this to your iPad.

1. Bookmark this page on your iPad and call it anything you want (i.e. Airplay).
2. Copy this text all of the text below (in red) starting with javascript and ending with the semicolon

javascript:d=document,e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://bendodson.com/bookmarklets/ios-airplay.js?'+(new%20Date()*1);void(d.body.appendChild(e));

3. Edit the bookmark you just saved on your iPad and replace the hyperlink (the one that starts with http:// and replace it with the text you just copied.
4. Go to ESPN or CNN and load a page that shows a video (you'll see the video with the play symbol inside a circle). This is an HTML5 video.
5. Wait for the entire page to load (all images, etc.).
6. Go up to your bookmark and click Airplay bookmarklet that you just created (you'll see the sill image of the video flash).
7. Press play and then enable airplay as you would normally. Now it will show up on your TV via AppleTV.

I tried this with ESPN and CNN and was able to play videos to my TV.

Also tried NHL.com, Foxnews.com, and MLB.com.

uzzaw

Does this work for the iPhone as well or just the iPad? I tried on my iPhone 4 and nothing happened.

uzzy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Seattle
Does this work for the iPhone as well or just the iPad? I tried on my iPhone 4 and nothing happened.

It should work the same on the iPhone 4. One thing is you have to let the entire webpage load. Try this link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310700153

Let the entire webpage load and wait for the little circle with the play button to appear on the video. The go to the bookmarklet and you should see the webpage not change, but the play button will dissapear from the video and flash/reappear. It takes a couple seconds even on wifi. The press play and then switch it your TV.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

fpnc said:

I feel a little bit deceived by Apple. We all have known about the abilities of AirPlay for months now (since the ATV2 came out). We all knew that Apple would open this up to all videos and this was confirmed over a month ago when the first 4.3 beta came out...
I don't know what you mean by "...all videos and this was confirmed over a month ago..." since it has been documented for several months that websites would have to include code to enable AirPlay video. It was only a few poorly informed individuals who were saying that it would just work with everything and for the past several weeks there have been numerous posts that have correctly described the limitations in AirPlay.

In any case, I agree that it would be truly wonderful if AirPlay would just work with every H.264 video on the internet, but that's not going to happen anytime soon or maybe never.

Tell me at what point, minutes and seconds mark, during Apple's recent 4.3 keynote, they clearly state that a 3rd party must enable AirPlay to work on Safari.

Tsac77

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
It should work the same on the iPhone 4. One thing is you have to let the entire webpage load. Try this link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310700153

Let the entire webpage load and wait for the little circle with the play button to appear on the video. The go to the bookmarklet and you should see the webpage not change, but the play button will dissapear from the video and flash/reappear. It takes a couple seconds even on wifi. The press play and then switch it your TV.

Still doesn't work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Have tried ESPN and Vimeo. Let the pages load completely and waited a full minute after that, still nothing. When I select the bookmark, the play buttons do not disappear/flash/anything.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Tell me at what point, minutes and seconds mark, during Apple's recent 4.3 keynote, they clearly state that a 3rd party must enable AirPlay to work on Safari.
I doubt that they went into that level of detail. However, the "facts" have been on the internet for several weeks and have been discussed even here on MacRumors.

Here is an article from Jan. 12 which describes what needs to be done to enable AirPlay over Safari:

http://macosrumors.com/2011/01/12/first-look-mobile-safari-airplay/

uzzy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Seattle
Still doesn't work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Have tried ESPN and Vimeo. Let the pages load completely and waited a full minute after that, still nothing. When I select the bookmark, the play buttons do not disappear/flash/anything.

Does your bookmark point to the red text listed in post #38? The bookmark should start with javascript and not http://

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I think the issue here (as far as the bookmarks) is that it only works on some websites and videos. It also seems to work somewhat intermittently. Frankly, the javascript/bookmark "hack" is just that, I don't think the author (Ben Dodson) really intended it to be used for anything other than a quick demonstration. Note that it also loads a fairly large piece of javascript from the author's website, so each time you use that bookmark you're potentially accessing an unseen, third-party website (that being the javascript author's own website, bendodson.com).

Also, there seems to be a "bug" in iOS 4.3 where if you play an AirPlay-enabled video in Safari and then switch to another video it's possible that the second video will also be output to your TV even if the second video is NOT AirPlay enabled. This has also been reported to work between apps, such that if you play a video to the Apple TV from an AirPlay-enabled app you may be able to switch to another app that is NOT AirPlay enabled and have its video also sent to the TV. It's all kind of hit and miss, sometimes it works, other times it does not, and still other times it begins to work and then switches the video back to the iPad.

damirski

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Still only audio with the workaround, no video on atv airplay:mad:
OK updating, CNN works with this trick, but veetle not yet, I need to play with this I guess...
It would be awesome if i could get Veetle to airplay
Ok update, veetle works too, but my iphone screen is all black and there is no airplay button or anything to change it back to iphone from appletv, so little confused now..
Does this mean I need to press home button to get out of apple tv?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.