websites won't load on my MBP on wireless, fine on my PC.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaydub, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Hello all.

When I go to my girlfriend's house and use her wireless connection, there are a number of websites which won't load. Some load with no problem (i.e. MacRumors!) but others won't load at all. I tried the same websites with her PC on the same wireless connection, and it loads with no problem.

I also tried the ethernet connection on the router, and the sites all loaded just fine. It's only on the wireless connection that I encounter this problem.

I changed the DNS servers in my connection settings with the ones on OpenDNS and the sites still won't load. One of the ones that wouldn't load was www.unlv.edu, my school's main site.

Any suggestions? It's frustrating because I am basically at a standstill until it works since I do a lot of work from her house.

It is also worth noting that I never had this problem until recently, and I haven't done any updates or anything that I'm aware of. We both use the same ISP and I have no problems accessing the sites from my house.
    Thanks!

2. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

there are known wireless issues with leopard and/or safari 3. Especially when connecting to an 2wire router from ATT/Yahoo DSL service. I have major issues with wow and sometimes I'll be surfing right along and then bam, certain pages won't load, until I restart or wait 30 minutes..make no sense at all.

3. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Well I've tried restarting, deleting the wireless connection and re-adding it, etc.

The router is a D-Link, but I never had any problems before and now it's not cooperating...

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Check if there are any firmware updates for the D-Link. There might also be some wireless settings on the D-Link you can try, such as using only 802.11b, or things along those lines. The problem may be in Leopard, but perhaps you can dodge it.

5. chem macrumors regular

I have a bizarre, similar problem. 10.4.11 on a SR MBP. The website crooksandliars.com will load using Firefox and wireless, but does not load using Safari 3 and wireless (the DNS is resolved fine in both cases). It will load fine if the MBP is plugged into ethernet. This boggles the mind.

ISP: charter.com

6. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I tried that one too, the firmware is up-to-date. Like I said I haven't done any updates and it just suddenly started refusing to load pages.

It happens in both Safari and Firefox as well.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I don't have any more tips, but I can throw this out as a long shot:

Sites that don't load are usually caused by failure to properly transmit/receive ICMP packets, due to bugs or firewalls. The problem can be on your end, or it can be at the website's end. In the cases presented on this thread, it is very much likely to be on your end.

On your Mac, open the Terminal and try:

sudo ifconfig en1 mtu 600
    (use en0 if you are testing your ethernet port. Reboot back to normal or use mtu 1500.)

If that works, you'll know it is an ICMP problem(somewhere), or that your wireless setup is having trouble with large packets.

8. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

9. ChaePod macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if these problems occur with an Airport Extreme Base Station..?

cos that would just suck.:(

10. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

That's what I use at home, and I have absolutely no problems. It's only at my girlfriend's house with her d-link router.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I carry around retractable Ethernet Cable (haven't had to use it yet). Can be had for $3.
    Have you Repaired Permissions?

12. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Well the difficulty lies in the fact that the router is pretty inaccessible when I'm on my laptop, but I do have an ethernet cable if I get into a bind and really need to access something.

I haven't repaired permissions, no. I'll try that as well.

13. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Ok I figured out the problem.

Whatever security I'm running (WPA2 in this case) is not allowing me to connect to all sites. I have no idea why, but disabling security fixes the problem.

I saw on the apple forums that some others have had this problem, with no fix. For now I'm just going to not broadcast my SSID and lock down access to two machines. :\

14. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

btw, I'm running WPA/2 and can access www.unlv.edu without any problem

15. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

oh same here, from other locations. I really am stumped but I assume it has something to do with the connection between my mbp and the router.

I was mistaken too, the router here is a netgear. I might swap it out and see if that makes a difference. My AEBS at home sits - I spend far more time at my girlfriend's house than at mine. :eek:

16. Amdahl macrumors 65816

You might also try WPA or WEP.. Either is better than having no protection on your wireless router signal.

17. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I agree, and I did just that with the same results. I'm beginning to suspect it's the router because I have no problems elsewhere with any other types of security.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There is your problem. Netgear are notorious for strange problems.

Linksys and D-Link works fine.

19. jaydub thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Yeah I think I have an old WRT54G lying around, I'll fire it up

20. lukenorris macrumors member

I moved recently and had to switch to DSL. Comcast I had no problems... The $30 extra a month was worth it. So I can't load basic pages such as weather.com or accuweather.com. I have a Dlink dsl modem. In which I called ATT support and they said they couldn't help me cause I didn't have one of their modems and had to purchase one for $100. I didn't... and hung up. I have mac os 10.5.2 with a airport extreme... I use OPENDNS. I can't wait for the day someone is smart enough to figure out my problems in my limited internet config knowledge.

21. lukenorris macrumors member

I tried changing routers to see if that was the issue. It didn't work. My ethernet port on my macbook is dead. Really frustrating.