Wed Developement App

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by africano, Jan 17, 2012.

1. africano macrumors member

Hey all,

Looking for some advice on what people use for web developement? Coda seems to be the norm, but Im looking for something free?

So what is the free alternative to CODA?

thank you!

Oh and where can I read about any esential apps I may need/want to install on my relatively new mac book pro?¿!! :)

thanks!

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

iWeb, of course, is preinstalled on your Mac by Apple. That's probably a good place to start.

3. simsaladimbamba

iWeb doesn't come with new Macs running Lion anymore.

Links to Software Recommendation Threads

To edit your thread title (web, not wed), just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Depends on what sort of coding you're doing I guess. Text Wrangler would do the job?

For free I recommend aptana. I've never used Coda so can't tell you how they compare, but Aptana is fairly feature rich.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Tricky! I missed that since Apple still touts iLife as included on every new Mac. I didn't realize there's two editions of iLife effectively. The free one with every Mac and the $50 one that includes iWeb and iDVD. That seems like a rather odd hole in their product line up, don't you think?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's only temporary until they stop selling the disk and iWeb and iDVD are gone completely and permanently.

jW

7. John444 macrumors member

You can code a website in any text editor ! (even TextEdit) However I like Dreamweaver as it has a built in FTP, colour coded code, design mode, Javascript debugger, Adobe browserLab, and so much more. Dreamweaver is worth every penny!

iWeb is alright if you don't want to use any code, I personally would rather code my own website, as coding allows you do to virtually anything and make your website look exactly how you want. Also, on the subject of no coding, various websites provide a free website builder (such as weebly, webs, etc.). However if you want to buy domain names or premium usage of their website builder, these sites have kind of expenses prices.

8. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

That is a tricky question to be honest because there is no "free alternative" if we are talking strictly Coda-like because... well that is the whole reason to buy Coda. It is a one window solution. Your alternative is mostly going to be split into multiple apps.

Free Text Editor:

Text Wrangler is decent.
    Sublime Text is sort of free.
    Chocolat is currently free.
    MacVim is free and good once you get used to it.
    Aquamacs is pretty good.

Cheaper Than Coda:

Textmate is great.
    Espresso is pretty close to coda for about $20 less. It also has CSSEdit 3.

Free FTP:

Filezilla is pretty good.
    Cyberduck is another decent program.

Cheaper FTP:

Transmit is $34 and is really good with Textmate. It's the same FTP as Coda's.

Terminal:

TotalTerminal is a nice added bonus... if you need access to the Terminal it's nice to have it hot-keyed. It will give you the fastest access to the Terminal app.