Wedding DVD to iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by I'm 5 ft 8, Aug 23, 2008.

1. I'm 5 ft 8 macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

Had a buddy of mine transfer hi-8 wedding video footage to DVD. Is there a way to transfer this DVD footage to iMovie so I edit it properly.

Thanks in Advance

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should convert the DVD to DV using MPEGStreamClip. It's free, but you'll need a lot of space. From DV, it's really easy to import into iMovie.

3. I'm 5 ft 8 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Or you could try Handbrake and rip the DVD into and MP4/MOV/AVI file. And then from there, import from file option under iMovie. good luck!

5. fairynanook macrumors newbie

Did it work?

Wondering if you have gotten either of the methods to work. I have a ton of DVDs of home movies I converted from old VHS tapes. I am trying to get these into iMovie so I can edit out all the bad movies and snowstorms that fall between the actual home video footage. So far, I have been unsuccessful.

6. I'm 5 ft 8 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

No luck yet. Still a work in progresss. I converted to a avi file. But still can't get it to display in iMovie.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

8. chipchen macrumors 6502

actually, it would have been better to convert from Hi-8 to DV. Reason why is that when you went from Hi-8 to DVD, you compressed the original into MPEG2 and lost quality. Now converting to DV you've got worse video. There are actually some Hi-8 camcorders that can import into iMovie... I think I've done it before. Or, pay for someone to convert from Hi-8 to DV for you. It's worth it in the end... ESPECIALLY if it's a wedding video.