Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I agree with you're point, and when it comes to it, i need to have belief in my own work, in order to justify various prices. But I do think there is an issue recently, which can be attributed to the falling cost of dSLR's. The first wedding I went to, many of the guests 'out did me' in terms if camera gear. I only had my D70s - although now that has mutated into a D2x. Anyways, my point being, the very value of photography has began to plummet, largely due to people willing to undercut.

Very good to know. My first wedding was with a D70 as well. But the one thing that separates (that should separate) us from the rest of the guests with the better gear, is our ability to catch those shots and our eye for the job.

Also, not to say that there won't be others that can do the same, but as the photographer we do have the privilege to go in the places the guests can't. Once the guests try to stand behind the altar to get the money shot you have the right and authority to push them out of the way. They could be shooting with a D3, while we may only have a D40x, but WE have been paid to get the shots, not them. I would elbow a guest at a moments notice if they were in my way, in a place they shouldn't be in, and were trying to take the money right out of my mouth.

And I have been elbowed a few times in my career.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
I liked the suggestion about shooting the wedding as a guest.

Let the couple hire someone with more experience to worry about the details.

Anything you shoot will be gravy and they'll love you for it, and you'll learn.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
My first wedding was with a D70 as well. But the one thing that separates (that should separate) us from the rest of the guests with the better gear, is our ability to catch those shots and our eye for the job.

Nothing wrong with a D70 if you know how to use it.

I started using one as a backup to my S2Pro a couple of years ago and when the S2Pro started having problem, I started using the D70 as the primary. Same lenses and flash units.

When you mount a D70 on a flash bracket wtih a soft bounce attachment no one questions the camera. Just make sure you get the shot before you move on.

And don't be bashful about taking a few extra shots... zoom in, zoom out, flip for vertical.Tell the subject to hold it just a second. All the while stepping in front of the "guest photographers". When you are finished then they can shoot. But, be polite, not like one of the big name pro's in town. I was being paid as much if not more than he was to shoot video of a very big wedding and he kept stepping into my shots. He would finish his shot and instantly walk right up to the bride and groom so guest couldn't shoot over his shoulder. But he was ruining my shot too. Had to pull him off to the side and have a "Hey man" with him.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
What an interesting thread!

I'd say no... If someone asked me, I'd flat out tell them I wasn't up to snuff. The nature of a wedding is totally different then even 80% of photojournalist work, so I would weight this decision very, very carefully. I disagree with "tagging along" notion because a seasoned pro isn't going to want this burden, they will be focused on their work and as the pros here have said, it requires much concentration.

I respect professionals and aspire to be in that position someday, and until I can produce the same results as the best of 'em, I feel its unethical to bill oneself as such. I make plenty of money with photography now (mostly journalistic and sports related images), and in cases were I can produce the same results as "pros," I charge the pro rates.

In any case, I think you should decline and explain to him why... Let us know what you decide!

aestheticslave

macrumors newbie
You have to start somewhere.

Hi everyone!
I just wanted to say that I was in a similar position recently. Well, it was a year ago. I minored in photography in college, shooting film and spending hours in the dark room. I primarily am a graphic designer, keeping up with photography and the technology, as a part of my design work and occasionally shooting an event or a portrait or 2. I was opposed to doing weddings because of all of the reasons all of you who think he shouldn't take this job have listed.

Then a bride saw photographs that I took at a local day care's family picnic. She approached me. What she needed was someone to shoot the reception because the main Photographer, a 10 year professional who does not suck, was a friend and wanted to enjoy some of the event. So, here's what I did.

I was absolutely honest with the couple about my experience. I met with the primary and asked if she would mind me shooting the entire day with her. I charged very little for the opportunity. Took lots of notes. The Photographer was delightful, helpful and very supportive. The bride and groom got a ton of pictures that they would not have had and I learned so much. Two brides that were having manageable weddings saw my images and wanted to hire me. Again, I showed them my work, was honest about my experience and they were all onboard.

Now, I did do some things to prepare that helped me to avoid some really big mistakes that could have been devastating. I invested in some equipment by researching the key pieces from other wedding photographers. Luckily, I didn't need a lot. I took an online Wedding Photo class with Ken Sklute. Read a ton and used my Photographer friends when I had questions. Then I started working with my equipment until I knew it inside and out.

Also, I made sure I had many meetings with the couple to compile a detailed shot list. I went and scouted the locations. Went to the rehearsals to take lots of test shots and practiced with the wedding party until I was comfortable with where I needed to be positioned. I also wanted to figure out the limitations of the space and where the lighting opportunities/challenges would be.

Everything went really well. I am enrolling in another class and have 4 weddings booked for the upcoming season. I am working hard at it and enjoying every minute.

So, maybe you want to be a wedding photographer. Everyone has to start somewhere. The main thing is that you find a safe situation to start. One where you can get some experience without being under so much pressure. And some of these other posts were right. There are no do-overs for this couple. Maybe this particular wedding is not the right one to cut your teeth on. So start looking for one that is and jump in with both feet. All professional photographers were amateurs once. If I get a call to shoot something that is too much for me, I call in reinforcements and take a second seat. The most important thing is that in this business, word of mouth can make you or break you.

Well, I hope this all helps. And, I hope all of you seasoned pro's don't rip me up too bad. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.