Wedding Photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by madredhatter22, Jun 1, 2008.

1. madredhatter22 macrumors newbie

We're looking for creative photo ideas for our wedding and/or a suggestion for a highly skilled photographer in the Kansas City area. Our wedding will be on May 23, 2009.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Isn't Valdore from around those parts?

3. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Good idea - they could have "HDR from single hand-held RAW image" wedding photos!

4. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Oh man i would love that....HDR would look great for weddings! But he is a great photographer in any case. I hope you weren't being sarcastic hahaha:p

5. shecky Guest

shecky

is he? why?

6. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Ahahaha... That made me laugh. Alot.

I'm not really sure Weddings are Valdore's area of experience though.. Even though he does see in HDR :rolleyes:

7. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Come on guys. Valdore has his niche. I doubt any of us can do HDR as well as him. Similarly few of us will be able to achieve ClixPix's or Compuwar's understanding of wildlife photography, or freebooter's landscapes.

8. madredhatter22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Valdore's stuff is amazing. I'd love to have photos like those. I emailed him, but I have my doubts as to whether he would be willing to do a wedding. We shall see I guess.

9. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Replied to your email... no problem, but like I said, it would be my first time photographing a wedding.

10. Chitoneus macrumors member

If this ends up happening, would the two of you agree to posting some of the pictures? I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out, and it looks like some other people around here are too.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Regardless of how great Valdore is at what he does (I'd love to be looking at one of his unsalable photos on my wall right now ;) ), I would be weary to hire a wedding photographer with little to no experience. I've done weddings and each time I get my ass drug into doing one I tell them it is my first one and I am 100% ill-equipped. I have a great camera, decent lenses, a nice tripod, etc. but I am ill-equipped to handle a wedding. Most of the people want the would-be photo journalistic style and they get EXACTLY what they pay for. 500 photos that are in my opinion no better than what their friends could have done with the exception of sharpness. No matter how original I try to be I'm simply not doing it enough to really hoan in on those skills.

If this is a wedding where there is an agreed upon understanding of the skills/needs of the couple then I say more power to anyone willing to do it. But to the OP, if you're looking for a $5000 wedding photographer for $500 then you're not going to be pleased.

I believe Valdore is highly capable of taking interesting shots and he would most likely give you a unique experience. That's not meant to be a hit on him, you just have to respect a photographer who is very up front with their skills. The good news is Valdore doesn't appear to be a new owner of a D40/D60/D80 who made a few nice headshots of their sister and they're now doing a wedding. :) He does have a unique eye and the output is always quite beautiful.

12. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I too would love to see the results of this. I'm a big fan of Valdore's work and I think this would be a pretty interesting shoot.

13. iBallz macrumors 6502

iBallz

Did my first wedding, I was more nervous than the groom! But for some crazy luck I got (what I think) some great shots. I recommend the book by Glen Johnson before a wedding. I tried some of his techniques during the dancing at the reception. I dug 'em!

Let me know if you want to see them.

(a little C&C would be good too)

14. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

You might try asking the folks at Delano Color imaging, being relatively close (~200mi in Wichita) they may have worked with files from some KC area folks.

http://www.delanocolor.com/

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed.

Even if I was good, there's no WAY I'd agree to do a wedding as a main photographer. It doesn't matter how good a photographer you are with other things, because photographing a wedding is far different than photographing a cityscape or something. It's all about experience, and knowing where to stand, what to do, where to wait, etc.

16. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

So true, great post.