Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I have been seriously considering doing wedding videos for people and so I have been watching a lot of demo reels of people that perform this service in the area. One thing that I notice is that nearly every single clip in these are a slow motion shot. I think that it gets old really fast, but I wanted to bring the question here. What do you think about constant slow motion? It seems to me that it only makes an impact if it is combined with shots at a normal speed.

Are there any proffesional wedding videographers out there that could voice their opinion?

P-Worm

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
The ones I've seen only use slow motion effects in certain segments, like during the highlights or a for a short intro. But if you're seeing slo-mo throughout the entire video, I'd have to agree with you - it does get old. As with everything else, too much of something is often worse than not enough.

-DH

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Being a wedding videographer, myself.
I would have to say slow motion is over used in wedding videos.

When I create wedding videos, I slow down most clips, but I only slow down clips by about 10%, it seems to give a very fantasy feel to the video. People dont notice that it's a little slow, but they do notice the fantasy feel to it. That how I think "slow motion" should be used in wedding videos, by just a small bit, but a lot of ppl over use it.

I do also slow down my video past 90% at times, but those occasions dont come by too much.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
One of the things I notice in a lot of wedding videos (not mine, since we didn't get a videographer) is that it looks like video. I think I would prefer a film look to it. How easy (or hard) is it to do 24 fps to give it a film look?

ft

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
The short answer is Yes. There's waaaay too much slow-mo used in wedding videos.

I, too, worked as a wedding videographer. I shot and edited everything- which meant that I had one camera with me, and I'd set up a second, wide angle camera that never moved. I used slow mo all the time to elongate moments, but also as a way to get around editing problems where I didn't have the shots I needed. It happens sometimes. It's a drag.

Ahh well.
Good luck if you pursue it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.