Wednesday Flash and trigger question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mrcam216, Sep 14, 2011.

1. mrcam216 macrumors newbie

Hey, its wednesday again and I have a new question for the photography community. first off, what is your flash set up. Do you just use one flash on your camera, if so what kind. Also if you use multiple flashes, what do you use. Also what type of triggers do you use. I currently have a canon 580 ex. (The original one). Thats mainly what i use and i use it on camera. I've used off strobe flash and love them (the ones that plug in) and i use to use a friends trigger for them. Now i need my own and the plug in strobe won't work anymore. I was looking at getting the pocket wizzard flex tt5 but those things are freakin expensive. I was thinking I would need a total of three. One for on the camera, and two for two off camera flashes. But also I was wondering if i should keep my 580 ex and get two 430 ex ii flashes to use off the camera or maybe the original 430. I would prefer getting a couple more 580 or the ex ii's, but those are crazy expensive, espically when thinking about getting two along with the pocket wizards.

For those who haven't seen my post, i shoot weddings, events, and models and i currently use a 7d, 5dii and a few 2.8 lenses and a couple primes. Let me know what yawl think and what yawl setup is.

Thanks!

2. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

If your on a budget check out some of the sigma's the 500 super Dg & 530 super dg (or somthing like that) Think there is even a 610 if you need the power......you can pick them up cheap of ebay and they can use full wireless ettl...its not radio like PW tho

3. Edge100 macrumors 68000

My flash setup is as follows:

3 x Canon Speedlites (580EXII, 580EX, 550EX)
    1 x PW MiniTT1
    2 x PW FlexTT5
    1 x PW AC3 (I can't tell you how much I love this thing)
    1 x Wein optical slave
    1 x Orbis Ring Flash

I hardly ever use all three Speedlites at once. For off-camera flash, I almost always use them in manual mode, but with full power control via the AC3. If I'm using one OCF, it's generally the 550EX, since this has the least amount of RF interference with the FlexTT5 (i.e. none). The 580EX mkI is the next choice. In a multi-flash setup, the 580EXII is generally used either off-cam with the Wein, or at the camera position driving the Orbis as fill (ring flash makes GREAT fill).

I also have the PW AC7, which not only provides RF shielding for the 580EX, but also allows the flash to be mounted horizontally, which is great for using umbrellas, especially parabolic umbrellas, where alignment along the main shaft axis is crucial. I don't use power packs, so the AC7 is fine for me as is (i.e. no Dremel-ing required).

There's no getting around the fact that the PW system is expensive. But the level of control it provides is unmatched. And the RF problem is largely solved either by using the AC7 or AC5, or by using a 550EX or 430EXII. The latter costs you only about 0.2EV at 24mm, vs. the 580EXII, so power loss is not a huge problem.

Modifiers include a Westcott 43" reversible umbrella (always in shoot-through), a Westcott Apollo 28", a PCB 64" parabolic (which gives much softer light than bare flash, but nearly 100% efficiency).

I **MAY** add a PCB Einstein to this kit next year, depending on how many more "studio" type sessions I shoot. Right now, Speedlites serve me just fine.

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Flashes!!!!

I use a handful of speedlights (580EXII, 430EX, Vivitar 285HV, Nikon SB-28) with Phottx Stratto triggers for every one, and my backup triggers are Cactus V4.

I use them for weddings (Formal portraits, receptions) and environmental portraits.

They get the most use during wedding receptions, and this is my tactic: I normally have 2 or 3 of them off camera on light stands bounced off the ceiling, with one of them set up as a blast rim light on the opposite side of the dance floor I am shooting from. I also normally have the 580EXII on top of my trigger in ETTL (normally around -1) bouncing off veiling as well for some additional fill.

Personally, until my 580EXII dies I am never buying another ETTL major brand speedlight. The $80 vivitar 285HV works just fine, I am setting the flashes up in Manual anyways.

I have not had any problems with my Phottix Strattos either, and IIRC I only spent about $250 for three receivers and a trigger. They also double as a wired shutter release or a wireless shutter release, not to mention allowing pass through ETTL on my on-camera flash. Pretty neat!

Never needed studio strobes ala ABs or Lightnings, although that would be nice if funds allowed. All things considered though, speedlights are a sure thing for weddings. I can't imagine having to worry about finding a power source for every light!

also- I use Sanyo Eneloop AAs for all my speedlights. Never went through more than 2 sets a light for an entire day. Most of the time 1 set will last each light just fine for an entire 10 hour day.

5. hansolo669 macrumors regular

man i wish i had the flashes you guys have :p
    my flash setup consists of a old mionlta film cam flash and a old olympus om flash :p
    both work (more or less) perfectly fine on my d100 :D
    now what i want to get? a cls compatible cam with a couple sb 8 or 900's
    ( or you know some cactus triggers and a couple sb 700 :p )