Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Hey.

So as some of you already know, i'm one of the people who got the iMac yesterday (1st Feb). Opening the box got the heart pumping like crazy, and when i put the iMac on the desk and took off the grey thingy....breathless...took almost an hour to compose myself :D lol.

At first glance everything was OK, no weird sounds, no yellow, nothing. I thought to myself, "yeah!, perfect machine!!". BUT...dind't last long.

As i dim down the brightness (i like it about half bar of brightness) there it was, a high pitch sound grinding my mind driving me near madness. If i keep it full brightness everything is fine, as soon as i dim down the high pitch sound starts, when it's at minimum besides the high pitch there is a electrical/static kind of sound on the top left side. (Cricket like sound lol, I think the iMac's are being made in a jungle somewhere, cat piss on the screen, and crickets on the imac) :p

I turn it off, turn it on again, change the plugs in the same outlet extension, a different plug in the same room, but nothing, the buzz was always there. After searching about the subject i've found a program "Shades", it resolves the problem, but, the problem will be always there.

The question now is. It's more than within the 14 days returning period, do i send it back for a replacement, wait 2/3 more weeks and the possibility of receiving another with the same problem or a yellow tinge/flicker, or do i stay with this (which the only problem is the buzz sound) and ask them to repair?

I'll be honest, I do not know how it works customer support here in the apple Portugal, i don't now how flexible they are lol.

When you get home I'll use it again and I will leave it connected to see what happens tomorrow and I call the customer support apple.

For the rest of you who also received the iMac yesterday with no problems, congratulations :D it's a damn mean machine :p

Will keep you posted!

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
While searching the threads, i've found out that there was more people with this problem and they said something like the problem being derived by a "Bad Inverter".

1st - What the heck is that?

2nd - Do they easily fix this problem?

I've read in gizmondo, that Apple will stop the production of 27" iMac QC. If it's true i guess there will not be iMac's to replace to lol

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
If everything else is perfect, just replace the inverter. It is an easy replacement, I think it is on a board or card and it just plugs in. I seem to remember reading about other people having it replaced.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
If everything else is perfect, just replace the inverter. It is an easy replacement, I think it is on a board or card and it just plugs in. I seem to remember reading about other people having it replaced.

Well i was thinking about it, even though i have the 14 days of return, would only serve to be waiting for another 2/3weeks again

Thanks man

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I dont think they stopped production on the 27" iMacs because the wait went back down to 2 weeks.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
I can't believe this....i know that sometime soon it will appear again, but, i just got home and turn on the imac....surprise surprise!! that buzz is all gone, went up and down the notches and no buzzzzz nothing, although, there's still a remaining high pitch sound...i think i will leave it turn on all day tomorrow just to get it running good. now it would be good if the high pitch sound went away to

will see

I just HATE when i'm right....it's back. F#@&5

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
BTW, can someone tell me exactly what is a "bad inverter".

Just so i can explain right away to the person that answers me when i call to apple support on thursday, they probably know what is the buzzing problem, but sometimes, and believe me, sometimes there are some hard-headed people here, so this way i can be aware of the issue also.

Thank you everyone

nickv1980

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Ive had 2 macs with the same problem it is indeed the power supply causing this issue..

p.s Now i hate to dissapoint you but let the computer get hot and then tell me if the buzzing is there or not because i can tell u now it will be :rolleyes: on startup mine didnt do it either only after about 40 mins of use.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
Ive had 2 macs with the same problem it is indeed the power supply causing this issue..

p.s Now i hate to dissapoint you but let the computer get hot and then tell me if the buzzing is there or not because i can tell u now it will be :rolleyes: on startup mine didnt do it either only after about 40 mins of use.

after 40 min?

try not even 5 min after i startup, yeah. after those 5 min the damn cricket showed up. lol

Archmagination

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
The inverter is what powers the LCD/LED screen. Its one of the most common problem that effects flat panels.. my 32" TV shipped with a bad inverter that blacked out the screen randomly, but left me the sound still running.

nickv1980

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
after 40 min?

try not even 5 min after i startup, yeah. after those 5 min the damn cricket showed up. lol

yeah mine actually took a while probably due to the fact it sat in an air conditioned room so it took bit over half hour to reach over 50 deg and then comes the buzzzzzzzzzz which really pisses u off when ur trying to sleep and the imac snores louder than u do LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.