Week 27?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kinetic man, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Kinetic man macrumors newbie

I recently bought an iPod touch and was pretty happy with it, but the wi-fi failed on it for some reason forcing me to exchange it for a new one. The first thing I noticed about the new model was the "1B" in the serial number, followed by 827xxxxxx. Doesn't this mean it's a week 27? What I don't understand is how this is possible given that it's Aug 30th 08.... I heard that the "B" doesn't matter too much, so I also checked for the "requires 7.4 or higher..." but it reads 7.6 too, and has Lennnon on the box. So what the hell is it? And if it is a week 27 are there any bugs I need to worry about? So far performance has been normal except that the standard iPod hiss (I've never owned one that didn't) is a bit bass-y? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Following along this, I'm thinking about getting a Touch and wondering if there are any specific weeks I should avoid?

3. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Just avoid any week 37s, they are the first week, and had negative black issues. If you can find one, I would be surprised. Aside from that, I don't think there are any other bad batches. I luckily got a week 38, so I just missed it.

4. Kinetic man thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine had a bad screen too, and hissed pretty bad to boot... I just returned it today, but I hear changes may be taking place with the line so I'll wait before buying a new one. When I looked it up I saw many other people with week 27s reporting the same problem...
    As far as weeks to avoid, I'd say 27 (after my experience at least) and 37 (due to known problems). But expect to get hassled for requesting a certain week from your local Best Buy. When I asked to see the serial number to divine what week it was (and make sure it wasn't a 37) the guy got all pissy and wanted to know "what difference it made". My advice would be to go to an apple store, as workers there are more understanding of this issue.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

The week 37s are the ones that came out last year right? I was one of the pre-orders for it, but I can't recall what the numbers were. I knew I had to take it back because of the bad screen issues. I am picking up a used Touch from a friend and he got it about 3 months ago. I'll have to check the box.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Week 36 and 37 models had some negative black problems, most of which were fixed when the 1.1.1 software update was released. Anything 38 and beyond should be fine. If it isn't, it's just the luck of the draw.

7. Xavier macrumors 68020

I got a week 38 and I ordered the day the iPod Touch came out