Week 30 with NO problems. Typical?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bunnicula, Jul 31, 2010.

1. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I finally bit the bullet and bought a black 16g yesterday. It's a Week 30 and seems to have no antenna problems. In case and out. If I squeeze it until my fingertips ache, it will sometimes drop a bar (out of case).

Seems I'd read some success stories with Week 30 phones. Just wondering what the rest of you with Week 30 are experiencing.

2. doubleo6point9 macrumors newbie

I just got a week 30 last week and it's working perfectly fine with no antenna issues. So far I'm pretty happy with it.

3. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter what week it is, every iPhone 4 will work great with no problems (Signal Wise) in your area, somewhere else? Your screwed. :cool:

4. TheRaj macrumors newbie

just picked up my week 30 a few days ago as well...can't replicate any signal issues or prox sensor issues...a friend in the same area who pre-ordered and received his on launch day has both issues...who knows why.

5. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm going out of town on business next week. If it works the same nearly 700 miles from home, I'll be satisfied. ;)

6. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Are you in an area with generally good AT&T reception?

7. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Are you in the US? If so, what region?

8. diabolic macrumors 68000

I recently drove from Texas to Florida and back over a couple of weeks. I didn't notice any problems with my iPhone 4 reception. I was on the phone quite a bit during the trip. I wasn't stuck without reception at all and dropped only 2 calls the entire time. Yours will work fine.

9. gridmonkey macrumors newbie

I have a Week 28 32GB and I have had no issues (other than the green blob in photos taken with CFL lighting, which I think all of them have). Yes, I can drop a few bars if I bridge the antennae, but I have never dropped a call because of that. In fact, after 2.5 weeks I have yet to drop a call, period. Screen is like magic, proximity sensor works perfectly, and reception has literally been flawless.

I never expected perfection from ANY cell phone, but this one has exceeded my expectations in every way. Throw in a jailbreak and it's pretty much perfect. :D

10. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

11. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Excellent! I'm flying from NC to Philly. My only problem on past trips to PHL with my other iPhones has been the total battery drain that is 3G in a larger, densely-packed city. We shall see!

12. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Same here re: not expecting perfection. Tell ya what. This one's minor quirks are nothing compared to the variety of issues with the 1st gen phones.

13. bunnicula thread starter macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Working pretty good so far?

14. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I have a week 30. It's the same as every other week. Any variation any of you is seeing is to do relative signal strength in your particular area.

I can make my bars drop from 4, to 1 or 2 in my home. With a case, I can barely make it drop 1.

The Prox. sensor issue is there too. Though I found that I don't talk with the phone against my face anyway, so it's almost a non-issue for me. It seems like when you move the phone even a little bit the screen comes back on. If it remains in exactly the same place against your ear I didn't see the screen come on. If this sounds like the prox. sensor, then the problem is indeed there.

There are some reports that the latest beta of iOS 4.1 fixes the prox. sens. issue, but we'll see.

15. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Please see skiltrip's post. He's totally right. It all has to do with where you are.
    I already had a 16gb ip4 and the 32gb is performing exactly the same...no differences. Oddly, my 16gb and 32gb, while having different week numbers (obviously), came from the same factory (88) :cool:

16. TheRaj macrumors newbie

Correction - friend only has the proximity sensor issue, I'm in Miami. I feel like that honestly has to do with variations in the way people handle there phones, my face barely touches the screen and I have zero issues, awesome phone.

17. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I had a week 30 with no reception issues. It did have a loose lock button (made a rattling noise) and an excessively yellow screen (blues looked green). I exchanged it and got a week 28 with reception issues. :rolleyes:

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mine is also week 30, and I'm not having any signal issues at all. I'm in a very good 3G coverage area with AT&T, so that has a lot to do with it.

19. Nokaoi macrumors regular

Week 26 Phone here and no problems across the board!:D

20. andy9l macrumors 68000

I find it humorous that people still believe week # has an effect on how their iPhone operates. Completely disregarding the fact that they haven't the time to change Chinese production lines with current demand, Apple themselves have admitted they won't change the design - changing it after announcing that would just make the whole situation unimaginably worse. A PR catastrophe you might say.

No matter who repeats what I've said, the placebo effect will continue to convince new customers. Strong signal strength areas do not suffer death grip issues. The strong signal strength in London, for me, prevents any signal loss due to death grip. Elsewhere, it's another story.

Since I have no issues in my home area, according to these 'perfect iPhone 4' owners, my iPhone 4 has 'NO problems'. Be honest with yourself and stop jumping to useless, unproven conclusions.

You either experience death-grip symptoms in your area, or you don't. The handsets are identical. Accept this design flaw, or return the handset. I'm certainly keeping mine but accepting that it does have a fairly significant flaw to it. Fortunately for me, my day-to-day usage of it is not in any way affected by the flaw.

21. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

+1

I was just pleased that I had the most recent week number I've seen. Hot off the line ! :apple:

22. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

23. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Week 30, signal plummets with death grip.

It is definitely dependent on location. At best I get 4 bars at home, but it will drop to 1 on command.

24. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

**edit:

Nevermind, I googled it. I have week 30 iPhone as well. I wish I had a week 28 though, thats my birthdate. Hahah.

25. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Go to settings>general>about and look at your serial number's first 5 digits.

The first 2 are the factory/site that it was made, the second is the year's last number (0 or 2010 for everyone) and the last 2 are the week number.

I just got a brand new 32 yesterday and I have a week 31.