week 48 screen flickers :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrweirdo, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I just noticed of course after purchasing the 1.1.3 software update and installing a screen protrotector, that my week 48 16gb iPod touch I purchased from amazon has the back light flickering on it after about one week of use. Just great! It only seems to do it however when the screen brightness is set lower and with or without auto brightness turned on.

I knew that earlier touches had this problem but it looks like apple never fixed it. So now I'm not happy because I will probably have to send it back to amazon at my cost for shipping. Actually what I would prefer to do is to take it into the apple store and ask for a replacement. However I do not want a refurb and I want at least the same week or newer. I seriously doubt they will be willing to trade for a brand new one :(

Has anyone else had this problem lately?

2. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

You installed a screen protector? If that is what it looks like then theres your problem :)

3. Pippen Man macrumors regular

Same problem with me here. I have a week 37, first one in my area. I haven't really cared about taking it to an Apple Store and complaining, because I never have it on its lowest setting. But, if one day I want to, I'll take it to the Apple Store and get up in their grill.:D

4. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I bought mine at Target. I figured if there were hardware issues then I would just return it. The bimbo's working the Customer Service will accept anything. Anyways, sure enough my iPod Touch had that awful screen flickering you described. Off it went to Target. I was gonna wait and see if newer models did not have the flickering screen, but I see people still have it. Mine was I think either a week 47 or 48.

Tip: Try and buy it from a store that has an easy return policy with no re-stocking fee; I avoided Apple Stores as if there were problems I would end up with a refurbished unit (God only knows where the hands were of the previous owner!).

5. mrweirdo thread starter macrumors 6502

For kicks today I went into our local best buy to play with the unit they had on hand for demo. So i turn the brightness down all the way on it as well and sure enough it does exactly the same thing. It seems like this is a common problem with touches/iphones that apple has yet to resolve.

I need to stop buying revision A products :D both my macbook and now this touch ;)

Also I noticed after playing with it more that its mostly only noticeable when docked using the provided usb cable. You have to look at it long and hard otherwise to notice. I may still try and go to the apple store Monday(packaging box and all) to see if they will be willing to exchange for a brand new unit even though i didn't buy it there. That is if i can get it to do it bad enough for the genius bar to not give me the old "looks fine to me" line.