Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Can you guys let us know if you have any of the issues that people have complained about?

1) Screen Flickering and blackouts
2) Yellowing
3) Uneven backlight with spotlighting

Those are the big ones.

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
I'd love to know too (I have a 3rd replacement on the way..)

If you want to, please add the information to my website (see sig).

The Mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
My Mac is on it's way and it will be here Friday. I'll make sure to update everyone on my future flawless Mac. (Praying):apple:

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
It is easy. Look at your serial number

For example: W8733xxxxxx was built in 2007, week 33

nyguy4u

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
I received my week number 49 last week.

There is a SLIGHT yellow tinge on the bottom half, but it's really not that noticeable unless you actually look for it, and it doesn't bother me. Honestly, if I never read about the problem on here, I wouldn't have even noticed. I have had no other issues whatsoever, so I'll deal with the very slight tinge, in order to keep an otherwise perfect machine.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Update...

Well, looks like FedEx may be moving more quickly than Apple originally said! My iMac has left Shanghai already, and FedEx's website says it'll be here in DC by 10:30AM on Friday! Woot!

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I received my week number 49 last week.

There is a SLIGHT yellow tinge on the bottom half, but it's really not that noticeable unless you actually look for it, and it doesn't bother me. Honestly, if I never read about the problem on here, I wouldn't have even noticed. I have had no other issues whatsoever, so I'll deal with the very slight tinge, in order to keep an otherwise perfect machine.

Exactly the same case for me, week 49, very slight yellowish tint but everything else is rock solid. I will be keeping mine as well.

The Mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
Well, looks like FedEx may be moving more quickly than Apple originally said! My iMac has left Shanghai already, and FedEx's website says it'll be here in DC by 10:30AM on Friday! Woot!

Exactly the same change for me with the same arrival date and time... mmmm

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Day 16 and my week 47 i7 is still perfect. Has no symptoms of any problems. Guess I'm fortunate or there are not as many problems compared to the total number produced as some would infer. No matter, if something arises Apple will fix it with no hassles unlike personal experiences with 1 other PC company who wanted "me" to ship a new out of the box PC with problems when I had paid for 24 hour in home service:mad:.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
My week 49 i7 have the yellow tinge problem but a part of that is really perfect...so i can't decide if send it back or no...yellow tinge in only visible on white and grey color!

ragecage

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Boston
Is week 50 the latest week that is available in stores right now? They get shipments on a daily basis, so I was curious.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Is week 50 the latest week that is available in stores right now? They get shipments on a daily basis, so I was curious.

Depending on how busy your local store is and how many of the quad they are selling, they could have models that go back to week 48/49. I wouldn't assume just because week 50's are shipping online that you will get on in the store; you might but it isn't guarenteed.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Well, mine isn't perfect.

It has some flaws, but they're not so bad. I'm going to give it a little time and then decide. I'm too "wowed" by the 27" display, pretty aluminum enclosure, and black chrome Apple logos.

details can be found in the yellow tinge test thread.

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009
I ordered an i5 nov 27. Shipped dec 10. It's a week 48 machine. You'd think that since people have recieved their week 49 iMacs several days ago that I'd either have a newer unit, or would have gotten it a long time ago. Something weird is going on with that....

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I ordered an i5 nov 27. Shipped dec 10. It's a week 48 machine. You'd think that since people have recieved their week 49 iMacs several days ago that I'd either have a newer unit, or would have gotten it a long time ago. Something weird is going on with that....

Maybe they are testing your machine before they ship it out?

Kevin515

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
Received my week 50 I7 six days earlier than originally scheduled. I've only been using it 2 hours and every thing working perfectly so far. Hope others awaiting theirs will be as pleased.

The Mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
Got my week 50 model yesterday, Maaannn this machine is impressive. It is dead silent and very quick, and it is HUUGGEEEE. I immediately checked for the yellow tinge and at first I saw nothing, but then I realized one of the grey boxes did seem a fraction of a smidget lighter than the top. It is so faint that I would have never of known it was there if it hadn't of been for this site informing me to check for it. I also had a brief viewing of the flickering screen issue until I was instructed to update my software. i haven't seen the flickering since the update. As of right now I am glad I purchased this computer and I definitely feel it was worth the investment.

JimKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Now that the week 50s are being delivered, Can everyone post their results

I would like to get a feel if the QC issues are being addressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.