Week-old Aluminum Macbook Sleep/Startup Issue - Help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adamtehbadam, Jan 3, 2009.

1. adamtehbadam macrumors newbie

Hi All,

My girlfriend received an Aluminum Macbook for Christmas, everything was working fine, then suddenly, while playing World of Warcraft the screen glitched (similar to if you were watching tv and someone jostled the cable) and the macbook went to sleep, then would wake up after the normal tactile input. It kept doing this until she gave up on WoW for the day. Then yesterday, everything was working fine, we both were playing WoW for a few hours with no issues.

Just now, we tried turning the MacBook on, and it would show the grey apple logo scren, then the blue screen where you'd normally see the user login prompt, then it went to sleep. We tried pushing a few of the keys and it would wake up for half a second then go back to sleep. Further tactile input wouldn't even wake the computer up for that half second.

I tried a several forced shut-downs and reboots, resetting the SMC, and then the PRAM, all yielding the same results. I'm hoping that this is an NVIDIA issue and not water damage, but I'm not sure what the symptoms of either ailment are. And I mentioned water damage because her mom spilled a small to moderate amount (half a glass) of champagne on the keyboard/screen a day after she got it, and it was wiped up right away.Weird thing is, the machine was working fine several days after the champage was spilled... anyway..

All help is appreciated!! :)

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Wow.
    Yeah, you shouldn't even have that computer on right now.

It would have been fine if you took the battery out, wiped it down and let it dry for about 6 days.

Turning it on that soon was a BAD idea.

I know this sounds like fraud, and you'll probably get caught, but I would take it to Apple and not mention anything about a spill or accidental damage.

If anything, they'll let you know what need to be replaced and if they don't replace it for free, they'll send you a bill.

Alcohol is a bad, bad, thing to spill on a computer.

3. adamtehbadam thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha yeah, lesson learned. It was the first time I've had to deal with spilling stuff on a computer. I read the macrumors guide regarding spills and I'll take care of it the right way next time.

But does this sound more like liquid damage or nvidia gpu issues?

If it was the alcohol, will it still be under warranty? I mean it was such a recent purchase... Plus we have AppleCare but I know it doesn't cover spills..

Lastly, when you bring in a computer with an issue like this, do the folks at the genius bar look at your water sensor or do they have to send it in to a shop or something?

4. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Definately sounds like spill damage.
    I haven't heard of any major problems from the gpu.

It's not covered by warranty, and they do check.
    I would still give it a try, and bring it up to the genious bar and sound oblivious. Was it a referb?

I know it's not the right thing to do, but I'm sure you guys are feeling kind of desperate at this point.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The champagne broke your logicboard (motherboard) which houses your built in Macbook graphics chip, hence it breaks whenever you try to play a game or something graphically demanding.

They will know if its had any liquid inside i.e. champagne, the computers full of liquid sensors, but take it to the genius bar and deny any knowledge, hey they may feel sorry for you, but probably not, its a $600 repair.