Week old Retina MBP not charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rchip, Jul 18, 2015.

1. rchip macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I've had my retina MBP 13 for a week now, ordered online from the apple store. It was working fine, but today the battery is stuck on 1% and won't charge, under the battery icon it says 'condition: replace now' and also says 'battery is not charging'.

I did a quick google, I can't find anything to help me, I've read about resetting the SMC, i pressed the buttons to do it, but it's not made any difference.

Any help appreciated, I thought I would ask here before I organise a return, incase it's a common issue with an easy fix.

The computer works fine when plugged into the charger.

Thanks,

Rich

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your magsafe adapter has a light on the connector where you plug in to your MBPro.
    Does the light show green when your plug it in? Give it a few minutes. Does it ever show orange?

In less than a week, have you EVER fully charged your MBPro, so it was fully charged?
    Or has it never charged completely, even out of the box...
    If you have had it less than a year (let alone only a week), then your battery has failed.
    If the SMC reset made no difference, then there's nothing more that you can do.

When you called AppleCare, what did they tell you?

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd take it into an Apple Store and see what your options are.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not trying to be an ass, but I'm not quite sure why you even posted this on here?

You have a 1 year warranty that covers manufacturers defects. Your battery or charger is clearly defective. Take it in. Even if you ordered online, you can walk straight into any Apple store and have it fixed.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The OP did say that he posted just in case the issue is a common one with an easy fix.

And, in my experience, it's not common - but does have an easy fix. Take to an Apple store, or call AppleCare. They can set up a return for you.

6. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, as Delta Mac said - I thought there might be a quick fix or something - turns out there isn't and I've got to return my machine! Oh well, pretty unlucky I guess.

Thanks for the help everyone.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'd return it since you've had it for a week.