Week Old waterlogged 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by deafboy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. deafboy macrumors member

So i just got my 3g last week, was going to trade it in for a 3gs on launch day, found out they were sold out. Today i went swimming with it in my pocket, and i just got laid off on thursday :(. Not a good week. What are my options?

2. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Others will come along with good suggestions.

But I wanted to say that I'm sorry you had such a tough week. (But, hey, you can only go UP from here!!)

So here's to having a better week this week! :)

3. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

Wow, that really sucks. Make sure you check your pockets for your phone next time! Bring it to Apple and act dumb, say that it was raining one day and it got wet :p.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

They charge $199 to replace a water damaged phone.

I hope things get better for you soon. :(

5. Switz213 macrumors 6502

What did you buy it with?
    If you bought it with Amex. You're in luck my friend.

6. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

oof

Dude that sucks, but wht would you swim fully clothed? :confused::eek:

7. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

Threw the gf in the pool and went after her :). Yeah im a smart one.

My Carrier is AT & T though.

8. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

Was she drowning? :confused:

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Hello Craigslist! :D

Seriously, see if you can take advantage of the 30 day cancellation. Go to an AT&T store.

Good luck!

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

That stinks--I feel bad for you. Since you've been laid off maybe now is not the time for an expensive iphone plan anyway. You might consider just switching to a cheaper non-iphone with AT&T until you get back on your feet.

11. molala macrumors 6502a

I was going to say the same thing. If you bought with a credit card, see if you have Purchase Protection (usually within 90 days of purchasing something).

Good luck.

12. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

how would i take advantage of the 30 day cancellation? Just go there cancel and get the 3gs?

13. JAGMAN macrumors newbie

I went swimming with my original iphone on month two of ownership. I dried it out with a hair dryer for an hour or so afterwards. 1 year and 10 months later it is still working great.

Key to success is how quickly you get heat to it. With the 3G you should even be able to disassemble it. Look online and you'll find instructions. That will help even more.

14. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

i made the mistake of turning it on right when i got out of the water. I got lines all through out the screen. AKA i think its shot.

15. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

Omg it just turned on but the touch screen doesnt work and the backlight doesnt turn on. but i can see the screen without a light. Maybe a ribbon cable isnt attached all the way?

16. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

haha...that's called instant karma:p

17. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Did you buy it with american express. As my first question asked lol.

18. Streamer macrumors member

Well, odd things may happen.

As I posted way back in April, my 3G went for a swim in a toilet at Denver Airport, and so it died. Well, cutting a long story short, this was the time when Apple wouldn't replace it under the Out of Warranty (by a week!!!) so my insurance coughed up for an "out of contract" new phone.

Anyhow, middle of May, my dead iPhone wouldn't power up, but last week, out of curiosity, it did. Screen looks great. So, all rather odd. Took nearly two months to dry out....

19. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

Nope :(. Im taking it back apart to let it sit over night. The only thing is seperating it into 2 pieces will void my warranty. If it take it to the apple store and just say the back light doesnt work and the touch screen doesnt either , think they will check it for water logging as long as it still turns on?

20. daonesteven macrumors 6502

unfortunately, it is genius bar protocol to check the water signals on both the headphone and charge dock area. Every genius bar carries the narrow light tool in order to check these areas for water damage.

21. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

**** my life :(

22. jtmcgee macrumors newbie

I did the same thing..jumped in the pool with phone in pocket...I dried it out as much as I could and then just let it sit...it took two before it started working again, but I haven't had any problems since.

23. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

The only thing is the backlight/touch screen dont work. The phone will sync with my comp. I should try restoreing it or something

24. trssho macrumors 6502

Here is the problem, I know your deaf, so listen up. Your phone has moisture in it that won't go away in hours, it will take days or even weeks. I would suggest powering down the phone, get a ziplock bag full of rice, and stuff your phone into it. Now, put the bag near a low heat source, like on top of your tv or DVR. Wait two days, and try syncing and powering up.

Keep in mind, the pool you jumped in has chlorine in it. Whick is great for killing microbes, but not good for electronics. If the dryout doesn't do the trick, go to apple and spend the $200 to switch it out for a refurb unit. They are like new if not new, and will have much more value than what you have now.

Good luck with the job search!

25. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

lol nice post sir