Weekend in San Francisco, What to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ibook30, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

So I'm spending this weekend in San Francisco. What is there to do? Any favorite spots to check out? I've never been to San Francisco, where should I go?

I want to see the bridge, get a couple of pics, maybe Haight-Ashbury, I was told Dolores Park is a good spot, and Amoeba records, what else?

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

Half moon bay, Alcatraz, Ft. Point, Golden Gate Bridge, Cabrillo Highway, PAcifica, CUPERTINO!!! ( ok not San Francisco but its semi close) There is so much to do in San Francisco its not even funny. Exploratorium, Ripleys Believe it or Not, MUIR WOODS is a must see, its over the Gate, in Marin County ask for directions someone will know what your talking about. uh Presidio(Lucas Films is there) uh like i said there is plenty to do. Oh and while your there visit Guiradelli (spelling?) square and ship me some chocolate!!! Have fun, and TAKE WARM CLOTHES!!!

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Too bad you're not going to be there next weekend... I'm going to see Gov't Mule at the Fillmore Saturday night...

4. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I'm not a big San Francisco fan (only times I drive into the city is to visit friends, club or eat at certain restaurants). But no matter what you are looking for, you will find it within an hour drive.

If you are into scenery and want to see a bit of the Bay Area, take a drive to Carmel and do the 17-Mile drive. If you are into wine, Napa isn't too far away. If you are into science, the academy just re-opened and is very nice.

Lots of options...

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you're just spending a weekend, forget the driving -- you won't have close to enough time to see even a small fraction of what the city offers. So it depends on what you like to do. Museums? History? Parks? Too many things to list, without knowing your priorities.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Coit Tower is a nice vantage point, for pictures of the city.

It is cold up there, so, as stated, wear a jacket.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The new Science Museum in Golden Gate park is awesome.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The Exploratorian is a nice museum. Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz. If you are just going for a weekend, San Fran has a great transit system so I wouldn't worry about renting a car. Have fun.

10. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    SF Botanical Garden and go see the house from Full House (it's real). Oh and drive down Lombard street, and go watch some street performers at the wharf and tip them! And the clever hobo's too....and let me know if the man disguised as a tree that jumps out at you is still there...he earned his pay that day!

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you are driving, I suggest you avoid Van Ness and Market this Saturday morning due to the upcoming protests (and areas around there).

There's a lot to see in the city, so it all depends on what it is you're looking for. Are you interested in just the city proper, or other areas too?

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The bridge to Sausalito is amazing, and you can dine on the water in Sausalito and look back at SF and see that great skyline.

Haight-Ashbury is very fun, and the last time I was there in the 90s, it was more goth, metal, punk, and grunge than flower child. Anyway, very interesting place. Start at the park side near McDonald's if it's still there and work your way down, but not too far past the tourist areas. It gets a little rough.

Amoeba records, in SF or anywhere is great.

Dolores Park? never heard of it.

Market street is a shopper's paradise.

The Castro is very entertaining.

Chinatown and North Beach are both great destinations.

The Richmond District has great Russian, and Chinese Food.

Stonestown mall is fun.

The Embarcadero, near Mission and 1st, is fun.

Fisherman's Wharf. The Hyatt. B or A building on top. Marriott on top.

Museum of Modern Art on Mission.

The Mission District is colorful, but can be dangerous.

Golden Gate Park.

Japan-town is fun, but also somewhat dangerous.

Vesuvio's Cafe. And the Condor is famous, and great to play pool in and was once "the stripper" bar, but is now a restaurant. Also nearby is The Stinking Onion restaurant and Molinari's deli.

Observation deck on Trans-America building.

Clown Alley Burgers. Mel's Diner.

Hard Rock Cafe.

Lombard Street (the curvy one)

Union Square w/Macy's, Versace, and Tiffany.

SF Shopping Center on Market.

Hope this helps.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Really?

OP, I was reminded by a random thought of Full House that you might enjoy seeing Alamo Square.

Again, the possibilities are endless, so you really need to focus more on what you'd like to see.

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Even though I went to school in SF for a couple of semesters in the mid-90s, I never saw Dolores park but may have driven by there a lot on the way to Guitar Center on 17th and Mission which seems close on the map. Alamo Square is famous but I never saw that, either but areas like it, if it's what I think it is with painted lady Victorian houses.

15. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

if you have time to drive to half moon bay, go eat at barbaras, I suggest the clam chowder, and the fish and chips.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Let us know what you did next week, I hope you had a great time. Good weather, too.

17. ibook30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Thanks for all the great ideas! I tracked them on my phone, but it was a hassle to post (plus the hotel wanted 10 bucks for wi fi!).

Thanks everyone! The ideas here are great- and now that I've been to San Fran- I bet everyone of the places to visit are great! The town is amazing!

Here's what I did get to see-

Haight Ashbury
    Amoeba Records
    the Golden Gate Bridge
    Golden Gate Park
    Port San Franciscon
    The "No on 8" Demonstration (although the vote was over a week before?)
    ALL OF MARKET STREET (I walked up and down that street - lots of walking)
    Touched the Ocean (not in a dirty way)

Made a couple friends, one of whom highly recomended Dolores Park! Said that is the place to see the real San Francisco. Unfortunately I didn't make it. I also wish I had gone to the Fillmore, would have loved to see Gov't Mule. I read Bill Graham's bio and the Fillmore was a big part of his life.

I walked everywhere, took one cab the whole weekend. It was great- if you haven't been, and get a chance to, do it! Thanks again for all the great ideas!

18. n8236 macrumors 65816

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Told ya. ;)
    I went there the weekend before Thanksgiving, and it was ok. There are better museums I think.

Although the Rainforest exhibit is definitely worth it because some animals are uncaged.

20. descartes macrumors 6502

and/or sonoma

21. n8236 macrumors 65816

There are always hawt chix there :D

(Dun forget the Legion of Honor)

22. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

The Golden Gate Bridge is an engineering marvel. Not only is it one of the city's most enjoyable things to do, but it's also one of the most-photographed sights in the world. A walk on it is a must.

Alcatraz, the former prison, wasn't always a place people wanted to go, but today it's one of the city's most popular sights. Reserve your tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

Union Square, one of the city's three original parks, is now a public space atop a multi-level underground parking garage and ringed with elegant shops and hotels. The Powell cable car line begins about a block away, and the theatre district is nearby.

Chinatown expresses what Western architects thought Chinese buildings should look like. There's much here that's created just for the tourist, but with our hints, you can get a glimpse of the "real" Chinatown in its alleys and shops.